Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

How can I see a move event that a member did in my team?

Explorer | Level 4

I find my users fairly frequently accidentally moving folders around. Then they freak out that the files were deleted. I go and show them how to restore deleted files, but they still can't find them. So I look in the events and find a whole bunch of deletions and a whole bunch of adds, because that's what a "move" looks like. It's sometimes very hard to pick out if I don't have details like who did it and when did it happen, and often it looks like somebody deleted the files because the folder they were added to accidentally isn't in the scope of my search.

All of this is to say, I think it would be very very useful if in the events/activity log there was such a thing as a "move" event, that collects all those delete/add events into one "move", that could perhaps be expanded to show the individual delete/adds. I'm sure that's probably a lot more complicated to do than it sounds, but it would save a lot of sleuthing.

Tags (1)
4 Replies

Re: "Move" Event

Dropboxer

Hi there @mlovell,

If you're a team admin in an Advanced Business subscription, you should be able to filter the results of the activity log in the admin console to show moves that occurred in the team. 

You can find more info about this in this thread by @Jay.

I hope this helps!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

I see that is an option, but when I filter by "moved", these events don't show up. This has in the past led me to contact support, who have confirmed that moves often look like a lot of adds/deletions.

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @mlovell

Yes, you are right, moves are generally read as deletions and additions. 

I'd be more than happy to pass your comments along to the dev team for review. 

In the meantime, if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to get back to us. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you! slightly smiling face

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

How can I see a move event that a member did in my team?
4 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post