cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

How to download team member files

Explorer | Level 3

We need to delete a member from our team folder.  I can see how to delete them from within Dropbox but it only gives option to transfer their files to another team member.  We want to download their files and remove the files out of our Dropbox account.  We no longer need to files within Dropbox but need to save them on an external hard drive.  I thought maybe we could download just their files and then delete the member but I can't find a way to do that.

Can anyone help?

5 Replies

Re: How to download team member files

Dropboxer

Hey there @lwalter, thanks for checking in with us. 

Personally, I'd recommend that the easiest way to do this would be to:

1. Transfer the files to your own account. 
  2. Remove the member in question.
  3. Let the content sync locally to you desktop app and move them to another location on your computer, or download the items manually

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil,

Thank you for the reply.  I don't think this solution would work for me.  I don't want to transfer this team members files to my personal Dropbox account.  They're huge film footage films from our documentary and I don't have the room in my personal Dropbox for them.   

Is there a way to find that specific team members files and just download them directly?  Our list of team members shows that this member had 17.5GB of material but I can't figure out how to find those specific files.

thank you!

Dropboxer

Thanks for writing back, @lwalter

I'm afraid there isn't such an option currently. If you want to keep the files, you'll have to transfer them to another team member within your account's version history limit

Please bear in mind that after this limit is reached, there will be no way to recover or transfer any files that belonged to the member as they will be deleted. 

You can find more info about this here

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil,

Thanks for the reply.  I don't understand the accounts' version history limit.  These files are at least two years old that we'd like to remove and save from our account.  We have a Dropbox Business Advanced plan.

Is there a way to see what files are attached to that particular team member?

If I transfer that team members files to me as the Admin, can I then see the files and download them?

Dropboxer

Yes! You can transfer the files to your own Business account and download them from there. 

However, since you're on a Business Advanced plan and you're the admin, you can sign in as user to login in to their Business account. 

Give me a shout if anything else pops up, @lwalter!

Lusil

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

How to download team member files
5 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post