Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

I am not getting notified for file comments. Do I have to be the owner to receive them?

New member | Level 2

Hey there,

So at work we use dropbox for file reviewing and with that our boss has been getting emails when people comment/critique the work we send them on dropbox. Issue is I need to be getting these emails as well to do my job properly on the shared folder. I have all my notifactions on, it's set up to the correct email, I have a "can edit" status on the folder that's shared. Do I need to also be an owner? Because currently my boss is the owner, but if that's the case then I need to also be a co-owner but it's not clear how to achieve this. If anyone knows how then please help me out here.

5 Replies

Re: Multiple owners on a shared folder/notification settings

Dropboxer

Hello @Ctierney09!

Are you referring to the weekly digest / Activity in shared folders report email?

Comments should notify both on dropbox.com and on their connected devices, all the following users (if they haven't deselected the notification settings): 

• The file owner
  • Anyone who has subscribed to the file
  • Anyone who has commented on the comment thread
  • Anyone who was @mentioned in the comment thread

Please note, there can only be one owner of a file or a folder. However, I would like to provide the steps to have ownership transferred since you asked. Check here. 

Is there any chance Dropbox notifications are not going through your email in general? Do you receive other Dropbox notfication emails? thinking face

Looking forward to your response to provide troubleshooting steps. 

Thanks!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

New member | Level 2

Thanks for the tip. Going through the files I am not subscribed to them even though I uploaded them. Is there a way to subscribe to them all quickly? Also how do I default to subscribing to my files in the future?

Dropboxer

I appreciate the additional info @Ctierney09!

To subscribe to a Dropbox file, please navigate to it from your Files page online and open it. You will find the option to subscribe to it, selecting the ellipsis button (...) on the top right. 

Currently, there is no way to subscribe to all docs massively. But this would be a very nice feature request for our devs so thank you for this question!

Let me know if commenting gets you notified after taking these steps.  

Fiona

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

Right I know how to do that but it's a lot of video files and would take a ton of time. Is there a way turn it quickly on multiple files? Or subscribe to a folder of files?

Dropboxer

Not really an option to subscribe to folders or multiple files at the time.

An alternative would be to request of your colleagues to mention you (@) in all their comments. This way you will not need to subscribe to the files to get notifications. I have already reported a feature request based on this request. 

I hope this solution helps to some extent. upside-down face

Fiona

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I am not getting notified for file comments. Do I have to be the owner to receive them?
5 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post