Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

yes

I have a question about "Domain insights". Can you help?

New member | Level 2

I am following the procedure here to create domain insights for my domain:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/business/domain-insights-account-capture

I do not yet want to enable account capture as I first want to see at least how many personal accounts have been registered using my company domain. However, the unmanaged accounts still show as -- even after the domain is verified.
verified_domain.png

I also have not received an email notifying me that domain ownership is verified. Does it take some time after the status shows "Verified" for ownership to actually be verified, and then does it take some time for a value to appear for Unmanaged users?

Also, the documentation states that there should be a "Personal accounts" column on this page, but there does not appear to be any such column.

Finally, the reason I wanted to use domain insight was to get a report of email addresses under this domain that had registered a personal account. We are trying to get all users under our administration to control data loss and secure our company confidential data. First-tier support told me a list of email addresses would not be available due to privacy issues for the users registered, but they should not be using their company email addresses to do this in the first place. Is there some other way to get this list of personal accounts?

One last note: I do not want to enable account capture at this time. I want to get some information on the personal account usage before I start invite enforcement.

2 Replies

Re: Domain insights

Super User

One solution doesn't involve Dropbox directly -- go through your corporate mail server. Company email accounts are company property; Exchange and GSuite both provide means for auditing emails. Depending on retention policies, Exchange will retain erased messages, and GSuite lets you search logs even for erased messages. You could run a search for emails originating from the no-reply@dropbox.com email Dropbox uses for sending account verification emails, or searching for the subject line "Welcome to Dropbox". Or both.

Re: Domain insights

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there, you might not be on the section that the site mentions, since you should be able to see a column that says ‘Personal accounts’.

Is the domain name clickable, or when you click the gear icon do you see the option to view the email addresses?

[This thread is now closed due to inactivity. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I have a question about "Domain insights". Can you help?
2 Replies
2 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post