Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

I'm concerned about how the 300k file limit affects my team

Helpful | Level 7

Hello Suppot, 

Our team folders have about  ~320,000 files total.  Is this something I have to worry about, most of our users set the team folders to "Online Only" with Smart Sync.  Is this still a soft limit as I have read in other messages.  Thanks  Bob

11 Replies

Re: 300K file limit

Dropboxer

Hey @rmckinnon10 - hope you're doing good and thanks for checking in with us, here on the Community about Dropbox's performance with over 300K files! slightly smiling face

For starters, to read up on app performance (which does decline after you've got over 300,000 files in your account), you can have a look at this article: 

How many files can I store in my Dropbox?

However, to eliminate any performance issues, here's what you can do: 

• Use our Selective Sync feature which allows you to control which folders that are sync down to your computer.
    Your files will always be safe and accessible on dropbox.com and on any other connected devices. 

Hope this helps answer your question,and wishing you a beautiful rest of your day! 

Karina
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 7

Hi Karina, 

Is the 300K limit something you folks are working on expanding?  Thanks  Bob

Dropboxer
No worries, happy to clarify, Bob! 

Well, as the article linked above mentions, we are always working on optimizing Dropbox to handle accounts with lots of files in them more efficiently, however, this also depends on each individual computer, and the hardware of your machine. 

Nevertheless, I’m more than happy to log your question as feedback and make our team aware of your thoughts, to keep in mind for future consideration. 

Hope this somewhat helps address your question!

smiling face with smiling eyes 

Karina
Moderator @ Dropbox

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 7

So I tried selective sync with one of my folders. it had about 40K files in the structure.   Seem to work ok but left some remnants, not files but a few empty folders in the tree.  Is that normal?

Dropboxer
Hey again @rmckinnon10, thanks for the update! smiling face with halo

Hmm, could you clarify a little further what you mean by remnants? I mean, are these folders unfamiliar to you or where they within your Dropbox?

If the empty folders were existant in your Dropbox account, then this is expected, as they were taking up 0 MB of space on your account anyways, so technically there wasn't anything to "Un-sync" from being available locally on your device. 

This is the reason they would have remained behind! 
If you'd like, you can always delete them (since they were empty) and re-create them in your folder structure online, using our web interface. 

Hope this helps, and if I've misunderstood, please let me know so I can do my best to advise accordingly. Thanks again and happy Friday! 

palm tree

Karina
Moderator @ Dropbox

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 7

@Karina wrote:
Hey again @rmckinnon10, thanks for the update! smiling face with halo

Hmm, could you clarify a little further what you mean by remnants? I mean, are these folders unfamiliar to you or where they within your Dropbox?

If the empty folders were existant in your Dropbox account, then this is expected, as they were taking up 0 MB of space on your account anyways, so technically there wasn't anything to "Un-sync" from being available locally on your device. 

This is the reason they would have remained behind! 
If you'd like, you can always delete them (since they were empty) and re-create them in your folder structure online, using our web interface. 

Hope this helps, and if I've misunderstood, please let me know so I can do my best to advise accordingly. Thanks again and happy Friday! 

palm tree

Hi Karina, 

So I had a folder in my dropbox account C:\Users\username\Dropbox (company name)\ZArchive.  This folder had a large structure under it with multiple folders and files.  I had the entire structure set to online only with Smart Sync.  Then I went to Selective Sync and told the client not to sync  C:\Users\username\Dropbox (company name)\ZArchive anymore.  It seemed to remove almost everthing but a few folders, thus I can still see C:\Users\username\Dropbox (company name)\ZArchive in file exploer.  The folders that remain are all empty.  I checked online and the folders in question do exist and have the appropriate files as well.  I am guessing I can just delete C:\Users\username\Dropbox (company name)\ZArchive from my local dropbox folder?  Thanks  Bob 

Helpful | Level 7

Hi Karina, 

I may have lost my first response.   These folders are familiar and were in the local dropbox folder I un-synced.  I also checked and they do exist on dropbox.com and contain  the appropriate files.  Now this local folder was set to online only via smart sync before I removed it from selected sync.  I assume I can simply deleted the structure that remains locally?  Thanks  Bob

Super User II

@rmckinnon10 wrote:

I may have lost my first response.

It was caught by the spam filters. I've released it.

Dropboxer
Yeah, if these files are set to not sync to your computer, and syncing has completed, then you can remove them from your local Dropbox folder without affecting your online content. If you’re hesitant of doing this, try it with one folder first. Keep in mind that if something goes awry, you can revert changes from your Deleted files & Events pages. Our team can also assist with recoveries, if things get too involved winking face

Cheers! 

Sanchez
Moderator @ Dropbox

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I'm concerned about how the 300k file limit affects my team
11 Replies
4 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey