Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

I'm facing an issue where my Selective Sync settings don't stick. What should I do?

Level 3

Hi

I'm having trouble getting selective sync to work properly on my mac.

I'm running dropbox version v59.4.93.

Under preferences it says "Smart Sync isn't enabled". When I click enable it opens up a window that says Set Up Dropbox but the window is blank and remains blank.

I am able to right click on a dropbox folder, select smart sync and then select online only but all it does is change the folder to mixed and the files inside the folder still remain local.

Is there anything else I can try?

5 Replies

Re: Selective Sync problems

Dropboxer
Hey Ingrid3, thanks for posting your question on our Forum, I’d happily follow-up on the matter & help you manage your folder structure locally utilizing Smart Sync/ Selective Sync!

For starters, just so as to make sure I’m sending you the most relevant information, can you please clarify whether you’re facing an issue with Selective Sync or Smart Sync? 

Additionally, can you please include a screenshot of the blank screen you’re seeing? I’m assuming that you’re trying to follow the steps outlined here to change the default selection for Smart Sync, am I on the right track Ingrid? 

Have you tried restarting your device by any chance to see if this amends this visual issue? 

Please do let me know of the results you’re getting on your end & I’ll try to check back with you asap, in order to get to the bottom of this together. I’ll be awaiting your next message!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3

Hi Jane

Thanks for your prompt reply. Restarting helped. After the restart I was then able to change the security permission and now smart sync works!

Thank you again

Ingrid

Dropboxer
Amazing Ingrid (@Ingrid3) & thanks a lot for letting me know of the progress!

Now that you know where you can find us, please don’t hesitate to get back in touch again in case you have more questions or you’d like to share your thoughts. Happy syncing ahead & I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day ahead! slightly smiling face

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Level 2

I have this exact problem and restarting does not fix it. Are there any other suggested solutions?

Dropboxer
Hey @knussear, thanks for pinging me here & taking the time to try my suggestions!

As you mentioned that this quick tip hasn’t done the trick for you, I’d recommend unlinking & relinking your account on the device causing you trouble as the best next step, since it recreates the local database

If this persists, I’d recommend re-installing our app using the Offline installer that should eliminate similar discrepancies (& you can reference the steps outlined below to get going with that depending on the operating system you’re using): 

Spoiler
  • Stop Dropbox (if needed) by clicking the Dropbox icon in the menu bar on the top of your screen. >Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select "Quit Dropbox". 
  • Delete the Dropbox application from the Applications folder. You may need to provide your computer password in order to perform this action. 
  • Reinstall the Dropbox desktop application following these steps:
  • Open the Dropbox .dmg file and double click the Dropbox icon. Dropbox should appear in your menu bar.
Spoiler
  • Stop Dropbox (If needed) by clicking the Dropbox icon in the system tray at the bottom of your screen. >Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select "Quit Dropbox".
  • Uninstall Dropbox: [Note: If Dropbox was installed by a Windows administrator in Program Files, you will need admin permissions to remove the application.]> Click on the Start button on the bottom left of your screen, and select "Control Panel" (Windows 7), or type Control Panel at the Start screen or start menu, and click on it (Windows 10, 8 ).> Click "Uninstall a Program". >Select Dropbox from the list of programs and click "Uninstall".
  • When the uninstall finishes, reboot your computer. This will make sure the uninstall is complete.  
Please have a look at my suggestions at your earliest convenience & let me know how you get on with my advice or if I’ve misunderstood your question in any way on our discussion here. Thanks again! 

Jane

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I'm facing an issue where my Selective Sync settings don't stick. What should I do?
5 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post