Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

I'm receiving an error message "Your Team Admin Updated this Smart Sync Setting For Your Team." Why?

Explorer | Level 3

I'm on a Mac and Dropbox icon in menu bar is alternating between syncing, graying out and disappearing.  My battery is draining and the notice I am getting says :

"New Files Will Start as Local.  Your Team Admin Updated this Smart Sync Setting For Your Team."

No one on my team account changed any settings.  Please help correct or instruct how to delete the app.

Tags (1)
3 Replies

Re: Smart Sync Issues with Mac

Dropboxer
Hey 2016tbf, just so as to make sure I’m following-up on the right thing, can you please clarify if you’ve changed your Smart Sync settings yourself? Did you opt out of system extensions through your Account settings on our website by any chance? If so, did you mean to change this setting or has it accidentally occurred & you wish to revert it? Any clarifications about how you'd like to proceed with that would be greatly appreciated.  

Following, could you have a look on your system tray/menu bar for the Dropbox icon? If you hover your mouse on it, it should display the Dropbox syncing status & the Dropbox version you’re working on. Can you confirm that you’re running the latest Stable version of the application on your Mac (78.4.119) for me & grab me a screenshot (omitting personal info) of the error you’ve mentioned? Please include it in your next post here if possible. 

Last but not least (& just so as to address your request regarding the app deletion), please have a look at this resource if you’d still like to proceed with that. 

Once I have these details, I’ll focus my attention on the matter at hand a bit closer. Thanks in advance for the time you’re devoting to gather this info for me & I’ll be awaiting your next message on this discussion! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jane -

Thank you for your helping!!

To answer your questions - 

1 - I did not change the Smart Sync settings myself,  but someone else on my team may have.  I believe we all have admin status and none of us are very knowledgeable about the app and some of us click whatever pops up so there is unfortunantly no way to know what has been allowed or changed. =-(

2 - I opted out of system extensions trying to troubleshoot the issue.  When I did that I stopped receiving the pop-up notice "New Files Will Start as Local.  Your Team Admin Updated this Smart Sync Setting For Your Team."  but the menu bar app still alternated between graying out & synching & disappearing.  I am also seeing 2 grayed out icons in the menu bar at times.   When I just turned the sytem extensions back on,  the pop-up notices started again and the Dropbox icon in my menu bar is still alternating among disappearing all together, syncing and graying out.  My battery is draining at an unusually high rate also.  (I did not capture screenshots of the menu bar or pop-up before the menu bar icon disappearred,  see below.)

3 - 78.4.119 is the version.

****Now a lot has changed .....  I received the below warning & the Dropbox menu bar icon disappeaed.  I was not troubleshooting when this happened,  I was composing this email. Has my entire issue been a syncing problem and it finally shut itsself down?  I can send the detailed report shown in the link if needed. 

Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 9.54.14 AM.png

Thank you again for your help!  

Dropboxer
Thanks for the detailed message & keeping me updated on the progress here @2016tbf & please accept my apologies for the slight delay in getting back in touch with you; let’s take it from where we’ve left off on your end! 

Now, as you’ve confirmed that you’ve disabled & then re-enabled system extensions, could you please let me know of your current status, so as to ensure I’m following-up on the right thing? Please keep in mind that if your battery was draining, then this should have affected our app’s performance as well, so I’d suspect that the Dropbox icon in your task bar has been disappearing intermittently because of the resource shortage. Have you by any chance had a chance to charge your Mac since then? Please let me know of this detail in your next message. 

Now, when it comes to the permissions error you’ve received, it would be very useful to me if you included the text file in your next message, so as to further advise, as this will affect the troubleshooting we’d need to follow from this point onwards. Thanks again for keeping in touch with me here!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I'm receiving an error message "Your Team Admin Updated this Smart Sync Setting For Your Team." Why?
3 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post