cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Os X 10.13 High Sierra & Smart Sync

Inability to Activate Smart Sync (remote management software & third party pointing device drivers).

c1000
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Any luck?  I have a machine that I just updated to 10.13.4 and clicking "Allow" still does nothing for enabling the smart sync extension. 

EDIT: I was trying to do this via VNC to a mac that did not have a display, keyboard, or mouse attached.  Once I attached those items, I was able to click the "Allow" button.  Apparently you cannot click that button from a VNC session.  Lesson learned.  

41 Replies 41

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Glad to hear this was resolved @GillesB-EXO and thanks for using Smart sync! 

Should you ever come up with any Dropbox question or issue, please let us know.

Have a great week!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Lancelot
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi @Watl3R,

I experience the exact same problem as @GillesB-EXO

Clicking on the "Autoriser" button has no effect.Capture d’écran 2018-06-04 à 11.52.28.png

Re-installting dropbox app did not fixe the issue.

I'm therefore still unable to activate smart sync.

Lancelot

Dropbox 50.4.71 ; MacOS 10.13.4

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
If clicking the button doesn't work, then it's an issue with that page.

As that window is a Mac settings page, and isn't controlled by Dropbox, if you're not using remote login, then we'd recommend getting in contact with Apple on this matter.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Lancelot
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Jay  a écrit :
As that window is a Mac settings page, and isn't controlled by Dropbox, if you're not using remote login, then we'd recommend getting in contact with Apple on this matter.

Since this problem happens only with dropbox software, it looks like it's more a dropbox issue

If you look at this topic history, you'll see that much people have the same matter and that a dropbox senior developper (

) had been trying to solve it for a long time

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Okay, well if you're not using a remote login to access your Mac, and Apple have stated there is nothing wrong with your device, then we're sure that our colleague @Ross_S will get to the bottom of it.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Lancelot
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am not using remote access, indeed.

I've seen in this forum that there are a few workarounds - involving terminal commands; I'm not enough tech savvy for that.

I'll therefore wait for you to fix it (a few more months?)

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks @Jay + @Lancelot.

We did end up getting to the bottom of this. This isn't a "bug", but a change in behaviour that only happens in certain circumstances.
My guess here is that you have a graphics tablet or 3rd party mouse connected perhaps @Lancelot?
As this is designed behaviour by Apple, it's not something that we're currently trying to fix.

The following will work and isn't too complicated, even if it may seem it:

1. Restart your computer, holding down command+R to enter Recovery Mode
2. Open your Terminal app (Located at /Applications/Utilities/Terminal)
3. Copy and paste the following line into the Terminal.

spctl kext-consent add G7HH3F8CAK

4. After this you can restart the machine, and let it load as normal. Once restarted, you can re-install Dropbox again. When Dropbox has finished installing, while it will not prompt you again to install Smart Sync, the required components will now be present on your machine.

Hope this helps you!

Here's a bit more context for the technically minded:

As above, this isn't a bug, but infact designed behaviour by Apple. 

To improve security on macOS, kernel extensions installed with or after the installation of macOS High Sierra require user consent to load. This is known as User Approved Kernel Extension Loading. Any user can approve a kernel extension, even if they don’t have administrator privileges. (Source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208019)

Unfortunately for us, Apple blocks certain GUI inputs from successfully clicking the approve button in System Preferences. There is no feedback to the user about why the approval fails. The two situations that this happens are:

1. If the end user clicking the approve button is using remote management software like VNC or TeamViewer to access the system and perform the approval operation.

2. If a third party pointing device driver -- like Logitech or Wacom -- is installed.

Lancelot
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you, this has fixed the issue!

For your record, I don't have any 3rd party pointing device, I'm only using the built-in trackpad of my macbook (neither am I accessing it remotely).

Here is my macbook config:

Capture d’écran 2018-06-05 à 17.49.59.png

chan01
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you, this resolved the issue for me as well. I am not technical and was afraid of trying this, but it worked, and I am now smart syncing.

nickbarfuss
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
This is exactly what was wrong for me too.

As a matter of fact I have a logitech muse and keyboard combo on my mac and a Wacom tablet.

I've spent all day today diagnosing the problem. Who would have ever thought it was a simple as a mouse, or tablet issue !

Thank you so much.

FYI, I didn't need to do any of the terminal stuff - I just unhooked my USD dongle and cables and used my trackpad - and it all worked.
Need more support?