cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: how to hide members

Is it possible to prevent members from seeing other members in the team?

fu3l3x
Explorer | Level 3

Do I have the ability to block members from seeing who other members are? I know I can assign access to specific folders for each member, but I do not what my members to know who anyone else in or has access to sign on

5 Replies 5

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Hey there @fu3l3x,

Currently there isn’t a way to prevent members of a shared folder from seeing the other members. If you do share your folders with a single user then they will only be able to see what is shared with them and therefore not be able to see other shared folders and the members of those.

If you’re referring to members in the team, blocking this isn’t currently possible either. All members are able to see the email address and name on the accounts of other members in the team. They would be able to see this info by clicking the small box in the bottom left of the web page on www.dropbox.com.

Hope this helps to clarify the matter - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

fu3l3x
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your quick response. I have had to set this up quickly without being able to spend time learning. My question then is can I have more than one team? I have looked but cannot find that.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for that clarification @fu3l3x!

So to have multiple teams you would need to have different Dropbox Business subscriptions. This would give you the separation that you would need so that members won’t be able to see the members of the other teams. 

If you will be a part of each team, then you will need to have a different Dropbox account for each team (ie. under different email addresses). This is because a Dropbox account can only be part of one team at a time.

Let me know if you have any other questions - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

fu3l3x
Explorer | Level 3

ok so another question or a confirmation. I did see where in settings I have Directory Restrictions. If I restrict those members where they are unable to see the other members, (currently I want to restrict 3) and then only give those members access to certain folders would that work for me? I am trying to give members confidential information in a business transaction, but do not want the three to know who the other is.

I prefer to not have to have 3 different business accounts because then thats 3 different emails for me.

Thanks for the help

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for clarify this for me @fu3l3x.

So if you were to hide the members from the directory and share folders with them that only they will be shared with then this should work for what you want to do. As long as you don’t share the same folder with another one of the hidden members, as this will allow them to see the other member.

In terms of “teams”, perhaps you could use Groups instead to allow you to easily group together certain members and make sharing easier.

If there’s anything else I can help with, let me know - Cheers!

EDIT: You can find more info about restricting the team directory from here!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?