Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Is it possible to restrict folder access by user AND device?

Level 2

Hi,

I'm looking to be able to grant access to members of staff to specific folders, which they will use on both the office machines and their laptops.

However, a subset of those folders should only be accessible when using an office machine (i.e. they contain sensitive information the staff need access to, but that we don't want them having a copy of on their home PC).

Is this possible?

Tags (1)
3 Replies

Re: Is it possible to restrict folder access by user AND device?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there, currently this isn’t possible since folder access can’t be restricted to specific devices.

I’ll forward this suggestion to our dev team for their consideration to improve the service in future!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

The only way I can think to accomplish what you're asking in a very roundabout way is to have the person you're restricting use another email from home, then simply make another folder to which the home/personal email address won't be added to. The only issue here is that you'll basically be copy/pasting contents and filling up your Dropbox space, but it could possibly work. Just make sure you know which email is being used on which device. At least until the feature is supported.

The biggest issue with this is if those individuals have access to their work emails from home. In that case, there's not really a way around it yet.

Level 2

Thank you very much for the suggestion.  Until this year, that would definitely have been a workable solution (bit of admin involved, but achieveable).

Unfortunately, as there is now a 'per license' fee for business users, paying for another license just for this seems a bit overkill.

I do find it hard to believe I'm the first person to consider this - surely there are lots of companies out there that want their employees to be able to work off-site, but not have access to thew most sensitive information when doing so - if only for data protection reasons.

Anywho, I think I have my answer!

Thanks again. 

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Is it possible to restrict folder access by user AND device?
3 Replies
2 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post