Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Links created from a deleted account

New member | Level 2

Hello,

My organization is in the habit of creating links to Dropbox documents/folders. When a user account is deleted (e.g., when the user leaves the organization) it appears that any links created with this account become deactivated. Is there any way to control this?

Thanks,

Chris

1 Reply

Re: Links created from a deleted account

Dropboxer
Hey chris_g_brinton, that’s a great question & thanks a lot for posting it to us here! 

In the event that you’re a team admin & you’ve utilized the account transfer tool when removing team members in the past, you may keep in mind that Shared links created by the former member will no longer work after they’re deleted.

Off the top of my head, a creative workaround to address the issue you’re facing would be to create an account dedicated to the purpose (i.e. manage the sharing structure of your team). 

Assuming that you’ve already set up your team’s sharing folder structure (if not, you may have a look at my colleague’s tips here), you can create an admin account, which will in turn distribute sharing rights to the team & administer access to individual users. This way, if a member is removed, your content will remain unaffected (meaning including shared links). 

I hope this answers your question, though please keep me updated on how this option works for you in your next post & I’ll make sure to check back on any further questions in more depth. Oh, & welcome to the Dropbox Forum! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Links created from a deleted account
1 Reply
2 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post