Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Managing Dropbox software update on server

New member | Level 2

Hi,  I realise this is not a supported setup but its how I need to run my drop box.  It is running as a service on windows server 2012 r2.  Whenever drop box does a software update my service freezes and I need to restart it manually.  The dropbox software update process has two system services.  What I want to be able to do is once a day - at 4am, stop my service,  allow any drop box software updates to install, and then restart my service.  Does anyone know how to do this?

Tags (1)
4 Replies

Re: Managing Dropbox software update on server

Dropboxer

Hey there @davidpaulo,

As you mentioned, this isn't a supported set up so there's not much I can suggest here about how to get this going.

I'm sure there will be some other users who have ideas on how to help you achieve this! I just wanted to touch base with you here and if you have any other questions along the way, I might be able to assist you with those.

Sorry that I can't be of much more help here!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

New member | Level 2

Hi Daphne,  Is there any documentation on how the software update process works?  I see that there are two services AND two tasks.  any info on what they do would be most helpful.

Dropboxer

Hey @davidpaulo,

Currently we don't have any in depth details about the auto-update process on our website. This is as we don't recommending disabling (or in this case delaying) the auto-updates to ensure that you're running the most up to date version of the app, which often has performance and security enhancements. 

That being said, some users around the forum have found that removing permissions from the updater or blocking it via their firewall have prevented auto-updates. However, that would then require you to manually enable them again and other issues may even arise with the functionality of the app if you do so.

I hope this helps - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

New member | Level 2

Thanks Daphne,  I definitely do not want to stop the process - I want to run it on demand once a day rather than all the time.

Hopefully someone in the community can shed some light.

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Managing Dropbox software update on server
4 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post