Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Moving 400 GB from Personal to Business

Explorer | Level 3

Next week, we're switching everyone at my small org from personal Dropbox plans to Business. The primary file owner has over 400 GB of files. I want to make sure I give her the correct instructions to follow.

I'm going to tell her to:

• Accept the emailed invite for the business account and pick a password, etc. Note: your personal account will be immediately downgraded back to basic (free).
  • On your Mac, open the preferences screen in Dropbox and sign into the business account.
  • Follow the steps covered here on "connect personal account to Dropbox Business".
  • Ingore all of the warnings about "Dropbox is full!"
  • Using either cut/paste or drag and drop in the Mac Finder, move the folders over to the Business Dropbox account.

That about covers it, correct?

Tags (1)
5 Replies

Re: Moving 400 GB from Personal to Business

Dropboxer
Hey @clayg, you're definitely on the right track; I’d happily walk you through this process & ensure that you get going with that as smoothly as possible. So, let’s get started! 

@clayg wrote:

Next week, we're switching everyone at my small org from personal Dropbox plans to Business. The primary file owner has over 400 GB of files.

Could you confirm for me that they’ve already stored the 400 GB of files on their personal account Clay? If so, can you let me know if you’re going to send them the invite on the email address connected to the (already existing) personal account or you’re going to create a new one for the purpose?

If the former applies (i.e. merge the personal account to the team), then she can simply choose to share the content she’d like to make visible to the team by placing it inside the team space (or share each individual folder as she did previously). If you decide to go with the second option, then she’ll have to follow the sign in process you mentioned picking up a new password for her newly created account &c. 

That said, if she ends-up having two accounts (personal & Business), then connecting them on their desktop would be a good idea & from there it would be more efficient for them to share a folder between accounts with the files they’d like to make visible to the team. 

Last but not least, if she decides to merge her personal account with the team (& she’s already working on an upgraded account), then she’ll receive a refund for the previous subscription. If she’s starting anew, then any payment connected to her personal account will not be affected. 

Hopefully my message covers all your points & please do let me know my advice works for you or if I’ve missed anything along the way in your next message here. Thanks in advance!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you Jane!

This person currently has a personal account under her gmail address. She'll get a new business account with her business-org email address, so she'll definitely have two accounts going forward.

We want her to move all of these files (which are currently shared with everyone) to fall under the new business account. They are all work files that should be owned and managed by the new business account.

The other users are a mix of people who all have a personal account currently, but some have it via a gmail address while most are using their business email address for the personal account. So it sounds like my users who already use their business email address will have a pretty seamless experience! (?) But those with a personal email address, I'll suggest that they keep personal files in a personal Dropbox account and do the "connect" thing.

The big question mark still in my mind is how long the process might take to "move" that many files. I'm not a Mac user, so moving a large folder could (I think?) move fairly quickly as far as her Mac OS is concerned, but I assume the Dropbox sync part of it all might run for a long time?

Dropboxer
Great, I appreciate the speedy message back & the clarifications @clayg; it seems that we’re getting closer now!

We want her to move all of these files (which are currently shared with everyone) to fall under the new business account. They are all work files that should be owned and managed by the new business account.

So, as we’d like to retain the established sharing permissions (or it’s my idea that it would be best if we did) & adjust those after everyone has migrate to the team, however change ownership, then it would be best to share a folder from your colleague's personal account to the Business one & then transfer ownership- ideally to the team admin. From there, it’s up to you (or the team admin) to determine whether they’d like to remove her from the share or keep her membership as is. 

So it sounds like my users who already use their business email address will have a pretty seamless experience! (?)
Yes, those already registered under the Business domain will have a seamless experience! 

The big question mark still in my mind is how long the process might take to "move" that many files. I'm not a Mac user, so moving a large folder could (I think?) move fairly quickly as far as her Mac OS is concerned, but I assume the Dropbox sync part of it all might run for a long time?

If the question pertains to the first user, then as long as the files are already stored on one of her devices, she could keep her existing folder structure & adjust her Selective Sync settings (i.e. for her second account if she doesn't want to have a duplicate structure stored locally). If you’re asking about the members of the team that will now start from scratch, then it may take them a couple of days, depending on the overall account load & connection, though these tips may come handy.

Please let me if you have any follow-up questions Clay & I’d happily check back with you. Thanks again! 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jane, there's one thing about my planned move of files that I still feel a little foggy about.

I have confirmed that all of my office users (except for 1) has their personal Dropbox account under their business email address (which I'm happy for!!). So that's the same email that their new business account will be with. Since they have various folders that have already been shared with them at their business email address, if they accept the invite today to switch to their business account (but it's the same email address), can they safely go ahead with accepting the invite?

I feel like the answer is "yes", because everything they have access to is via that email address that isn't changing. It's just that their account switches from a personal plan to a business plan?

Dropboxer

@clayg wrote:

can they safely go ahead with accepting the invite?

I feel like the answer is "yes", because everything they have access to is via that email address that isn't changing. It's just that their account switches from a personal plan to a business plan?

You're absolutely right in your assumption @clayg! Now that you've confirmed that they already have an existing Dropbox account connected to their business email address (which is great & thanks for checking that), the migration should run smoothly for your team. Once they accept the invite, there will be a short walkthrough that should cover the very basics & it may be useful to unlink & relink on connected devices, just so as to refresh the database settings. 

I'm not sure if you've seen it yet, however this video may also be useful to you, as you're exploring the features in the admin console. 

Hopefully my explanation helps dissolve the mist & please let me know how you get on with these steps or if you have any follow-up onboarding questions in your next reply here. Thanks & enjoy the rest of your day until we talk again Clay! 

Jane

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Moving 400 GB from Personal to Business
5 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post