Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Moving From One Dropbox Business Account to Another - File Continuity

Helpful | Level 6

We are doing some consolidation around our company and moving people to and from existing and new dropbox business advanced accounts. As an example, I am currently on a business account from one department and have been for 5+ years. I am part of a team folder there, but I do not do anything with it nor store anything in the team folder. I do have a substantial amount of data in dropbox but outside of the team folder. I am moving my account from the existing dropbox business account to a new dropbox business account for my project team (construction company) so my email/username/etc is the same and I work for the same company, will just be going to a different paid account. 

Many of the existing folders I have are shared with other users (owned by me) as shared folders but not team folders, and then many are just my own work files. 

I just want to confirm that when the admin of the existing account kicks me out, all my existing files in my dropbox folder will go frozen and I won't be able to access them until I am invited to the new paid account for our project team, at which point I will have access to all my files again (as i'm paid up again) and will be able to join a new team folder. Just clarifying that nothing will happen to my files (deleted/archived/etc) during the time period from leaving one business account and moving to another. 

3 Replies

Re: Moving From One Dropbox Business Account to Another - File Continuity

Dropboxer

Hey there @Speez - how are you today?

Please be aware that when your account is downgraded, Dropbox will not delete any of your files.

Should your Dropbox folder becomes over quota all that should happen is that syncing stops. Dropbox will only sync until you hit your quota, so if you are over quota all that should happen is that Dropbox will not sync any new files.

Just make sure to have your Team's Admin to convert your current account back to an individual one  when deleting you from the team you'll be leaving, so you can then get invited to the new team without problems. 

I hope I am making sense here and please let me know if there's anything else you'd like to ask. 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 6

Makes perfect sense and thanks for the links, not sure how I missed those two. After speaking with our rep, it sounds like the timeline between being "dropped" by the first business account and added to the new account could be +/- 7 days, does that sound correct? Trying to time when certain users should move over.

Thanks,

Dropboxer

Thanks for the reply @Speez - much appreciated.

The 7 days window is referring to the time that your current Team's Admin will be able to restore your account back to their Team. If they choose to convert your account to a basic one, you'll be able to join the new team right away. 

Let me know if this clears things up for you please. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Moving From One Dropbox Business Account to Another - File Continuity
3 Replies
2 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post