Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Moving large amount of files between two team folders

Helpful | Level 7

Hi All, 

I am in my trial of Dropbox Business and have a few questions.

1. With the standard plan, is that 2TB per user or 2TB total for all the users on my team?
  2. I put a large amount of files up in a team folder.  I would like to move these files to another team folder.  When I used cut and paste from Windows Explorer it moved the files quickly but now Dropbox is showing me that it is indexing the files and taking a fair amount of time.  It feels like it is downloading the files to my computer then reuploading them to the new team folder?  Would I have been better off using the Web client to move the files?  During the move process I keep getting messages that state Smart Sync is downloading files.  Is that normal?
  3. I would like to set our team folder to by online only.  I am concerned because of the large amount of data we will have in the team folders that Smart Sync may fail and start downloading files. Is this a concern at all?  I did notice that if you right click and select copy on any of the files or folder that our marked “Online Only” Smart Sync will  immediately change them to local, even if you paste to a folder on your hard drive that is not currently synced.

Thanks Bob

7 Replies

Re: Moving large amount of files between two team folders

Dropboxer
Hey Bob (rmckinnon10), 

Welcome to Dropbox Business & the Dropbox Community, I’d happily address your sharing inquiries below & clarify as much as I can & we’ll take it from there! 

When it comes to your storage quota query, you may keep in mind that this refers to all team members (on a Standard plan), hence if you have 3 members on your team, the 2 TB allowance should be divided by 3 & so on & so forth. 

Following, when it comes to moves within your folder-structure, these have to be synced both across users & devices on your team. During the process, there may be third-party apps that need to access files anew, hence the error message you’re getting (regarding previously Smart synced files). To my mind, the best course of action at the moment would be to sync the changes across your devices & investigate what’s happening through trial & error (eg. if you still see discrepancies with smart synced files being re-downloaded locally), as there may be a different cause for the behavior you’re getting, unrelated to what you’re suspecting at the moment. 

Incidentally, have you been able to see AgentJay’s post on Team Folders here. I’m merely suggesting that, as it may be helpful, in order to avoid the re-syncing from this point on. 

Last but not least, when it comes to your finding here: 

I did notice that if you right click and select copy on any of the files or folder that our marked “Online Only” Smart Sync will  immediately change them to local,

Your assumption is right, hence placeholder (or Smart synced) files, are only a reflection of the actual file, that resides within your Dropbox folder thus taking up zero space on your account locally. In order for us to complete actions outside the Dropbox folder though, we’ll need the actual file, hence we’re making it local, in order to complete the action (i.e. Copy-Paste in this scenario). 

Hopefully the tips above help you shed some more light into the case, though I’m always here in case you need further assistance, just keep me updated in your next message. Thanks again & I’m wishing you a fruitful March ahead!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 7

Hi Jane,

The files finished syncing and everything seems ok. 

“Your assumption is right, hence placeholder (or Smart synced) files, are only a reflection of the actual file, that resides within your Dropbox folder thus taking up zero space on your account locally. In order for us to complete actions outside the Dropbox folder though, we’ll need the actual file, hence we’re making it local, in order to complete the action (i.e. Copy-Paste in this scenario). “

I understand you need to download the files in order to perform the copy, but it would be nice to set them back to “cloud only” once the copy has finished.  That way I am not left with two copies of the same file on my machine.   

When moving a large amount of files, say 20-30GB  of data, perhaps 30,000 files, my machine does slow down while the dropbox  is indexing in the backgroud.  Is that normal, the client itself is using about 25% of the cpu? 

Thanks for the help,

Bob

Dropboxer
Glad to hear that we’re moving forward & syncing has completed as expected Bob, let me follow-up more closely below! 

Since I understand your request more clearly now, I’d happily pass your thoughts on to our dev team for future consideration; indeed, this feedback is extremely valuable, as we're always looking for ways to improve. 

Secondly, as we’d like to shift our attention from the move itself to the resources’ consumption locally on your device, I’d like to ask you to check on your Activity Monitor. If it’s not too much trouble for you, can you re-create the behavior & let me know of your findings here (eg. I’d appreciate a screenshot of the cpu usage)? This way, I’ll get a better understanding of what’s happening. 

Thanks & I’ll be awaiting your next message here. Happy Friday! 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 7

Hi Jane, 

Once the files finished syncing, I noticed smart sync was set to local for this group.  I right clicked on the folder and selected Online Only.  That started a new set syncs of about 30,000 files.  It has been going for a few hours now.  Below is a screen shot of my resources.  The cpu for drop box will float from 3-25% .   My other beta testers are experiencing  similar behavior.  We are all currently OneDrive users but because of multiple problems we are testing Dropbox.  We love the simple Dropbox interface much better and it works correctly.  My only problem seems to be the resource demands of the client.   See pic below. 

Thanks  Bob

2018-03-02_11-13-41.png

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for the image. Even when switching to online-only, the CPU can take some time to allocate and download the placeholders depending on the number needed.

The Windows search might also be trying to index the placeholders and/or files in the Dropbox folder, which could be causing the Dropbox desktop application to slow down in the first place. Try pausing the search for the time being in the Windows settings (if possible).

We also note that you’re running some Symantec software. We’d recommend whitelisting Dropbox and these domains to rule out any compatibility issues there.

Let us know how it goes!

Jay

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 7
Thanks, I included Symantec in the post figuring you might have a recommendation. I will try this out. Bob

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Keep us posted with any results!

Jay

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Moving large amount of files between two team folders
7 Replies
6 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey