cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Multiple business accounts for a newly acquired business

New member | Level 2

Hello All,

I have recently taken over ownership of a small business - Business A, with 4 dropbox users.

The old business has used dropbox business for a while now and the previous owners still have some older files and data related to other side business interests on the business dropbox.

I have retained the email accounts and internet domain names from Business A.

To get started with a new file system, I have created a new Business account - Business B, with my private email account - as I'm thinking the email domain name is linked to the previous dropbox for Business A.

Which as you can imagine, hasn't worked too well. employees appear as outside the enterprise 'shares', their desktop dropbox clients have the folder for Business B listed under their business accounts for Business A etc etc

Could anyone offer any suggestions on the best way to get things working correctly?

I'm starting to think that it would be easier to acquire the account from Business A, set up a separate account for the previous owners and transfer all of their history and private files to that account, remove the previous owners access to the Business A dropbox.

1 Reply

Re: Multiple business accounts for a newly acquired business

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Chris_123, thanks for posting on the Community!

There’s a few ways to handle this, depending on how the other admin feels on the matter.

The simplest method in my opinion would be to merge the Dropbox Business teams into one, with you as the primary team. Afterwards, you would remove the old admins from the team by converting their accounts to personal ones

This way they keep the data in their Dropbox account, but won’t have access to the team folders anymore. You’ll keep the normal team members and will all be on the same team, and all billing for the team would be handled by yourself.

If you feel this isn’t suitable for some reason, let me know more so I can provide an alternative!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Multiple business accounts for a newly acquired business
1 Reply
1 Like
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post