Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

My iMac is continuously syncing Dropbox files

New member | Level 2

We have a Business account. One of our users, and their iMac, is continuously syncing all of the Office wide Dropbox. This takes 2/3 days to complete. We have installed the latest version of Dropbox. Their iMac is new, OS 10.13.6. The files are stored locally, as the Smart syncy was too slow to download and upload for how we work. Our Fibre speed tests at 200mb/s up/down.

In the Admin console I did notice that the IP address for this user is changing regulary? Hopefully it is a settings issue for this user, Otherwise I think it might be a hardware issue with the new iMac.

Tags (1)
12 Replies

Re: My iMac is continuously syncing Dropbox files

Dropboxer

Hey there @LordChummers - sorry to hear that!

I've just reached out via email to your Dropbox associated address so we can have a further look into this with all of my tools available as I'll be needing account specifics to troubleshoot further. 

Take a look at my message (ticket with ID: 8901332 ) and we'll take it from there.

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

I am also having a similar issue starting yesterday. I noticed that the files I had been working on had not synced across my devices today.  After returning home, I noticed I had mistakenly added: ` and space before a file name after returning home. I deleted that file name and my files have been 'syncing' since. My upload and download are fine- no limits on bandwith through settings. Uplod is running between .2 to .5KB/sec. or 5 hours- but no progress seems to have been made.Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 11.14.56 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 11.02.45 PM.jpg

Helpful | Level 5

I had a very similar issue, was finally able to navigate a solution. Marked it in the thread below: 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Files-folders/Desktop-app-stuck-indexing-one-file-for-over-24-hours/...

Hopefully that helps.

Explorer | Level 3

@SandyDandy wrote:

I had a very similar issue, was finally able to navigate a solution. Marked it in the thread below: 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Files-folders/Desktop-app-stuck-indexing-one-file-for-over-24-hours/...

Hopefully that helps.

Thanks for that- I had seen that, and tried unlinking my computer- renaming my dropbox folder and relinking my computer. It did not solve it. I am not sure if deleting my account is possible- how would that affect my other devices? 

Would that mean I would have to recreate my account? 

Not sure of this since this is a personal account. 

Dropboxer

Sorry to hear you're having issues with this @Charles E.3. Let's have a look now!

I'll just need some additional information to make sure we're on the same page at this point: 

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there Charles! 

PS: If you'd like to investigate this internally with all of our tools at my disposal, please let me know and I'll reach out to your Dropbox associated email address asap. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3
@Walter FYI- I tried running the bad files check- but it hangs and then crashes any browser I have tried running it on. I also tried running it from my laptop and it also crashes. I am now unable to log into my account or forum using any browser on my iMac. It seems the bad files check has encountered an error and hangs without being able to display anything.

Explorer | Level 3

@Walter I have also reinstalled dropbox. Now looks like 40 days to sync. I'd love more tool possibilities.Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 11.54.13 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-09-10 at 11.54.13 PM.png

New member | Level 2

We had this same issue a few months ago, we spend days and days trying to solve the issue. Dropbox just would not sync, or when it finally did sync, it would start again, and go for a few more days. We have several iMac on the same Dropbox account, we were only having issues with one iMac inparticular. In the end, we discovered that our new iMac had a defective RAM processor (took it to Apple store), we had this replaced under Apple warrenty. We also reinstated the operating system (suggested by Apple tech). This fixed the issue. It was either a combination of both fixes, or just the faulty RAM.

Explorer | Level 3

@LordChummers wrote:

We had this same issue a few months ago, we spend days and days trying to solve the issue. Dropbox just would not sync, or when it finally did sync, it would start again, and go for a few more days. We have several iMac on the same Dropbox account, we were only having issues with one iMac inparticular. In the end, we discovered that our new iMac had a defective RAM processor (took it to Apple store), we had this replaced under Apple warrenty. We also reinstated the operating system (suggested by Apple tech). This fixed the issue. It was either a combination of both fixes, or just the faulty RAM.

FYI=

Ran diagnostics: no issues found. Re-installed OS X 10.14.6. Still the same.

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

My iMac is continuously syncing Dropbox files
12 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post