Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Need to move from business to personal account without syncing

New member | Level 2

Hi - I need to move a large amount of files from my business account to my personal, but without having to sync masses of data down and up between the cloud and my computer. Can I do this directly?

6 Replies

Re: Need to move from business to personal account without syncing

Experienced Collaborator | Level 12

Hello

I have moved files directly from my business account to my personal account before. I have a desktop app folder for each account on my computer desktop, so opened both folders then moved files between them. However, the files I moved were not a large amount. There may be a better way to do it. But it worked for me.

Hope this helps.

Meg

New member | Level 2

Hi Meg

Thank you for taking the time to respond. My problem is that this is specifically what I cannot do. For that to work, you need all of the target files synced and residing on your computer. The files I want to transfer are in the cloud only, not on my hard drive.

Thanks anyway!

Gavin

Experienced Collaborator | Level 12

I see. I am sorry it wasn't helpful.

I don't know if this helps, but I just moved a file with a cloud icon(cloud only) from my business folder to my personal folder and found that the icon changed to the green check in my personal folder, which I guess means it synced on my computer after moving it. 

I hope you will find a solution.

Meg

New member | Level 2

Indeed, that will work with files synced, but for offline use only. My problem is I need to move a lot of data and I'm trying to avoid the download and upload again scenario. A third party app like Multcloud (yes, no 'i') can do it, but it will take longer than Trump takes to pronounce 'crisis'.

Super User II

Create a shared folder between the two accounts, set that folder to not sync to your computer and then and move the files that you need to transfer into the share. Then, on the personal account, create a new folder and set it to not sync on your computer. You can then use the Dropbox website to move the files out of the shared folder and into the newly created folder. That will remove them from the business account and they won't sync to your computer.

New member | Level 2

Excellent (and relatively obvious) solution - thanks, I feel a bit silly. Especially as I've just purchased a competitive cloud service that offers direct backup from Dropbox and others...  

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Need to move from business to personal account without syncing
6 Replies
4 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post