Announcements
Can you spare 5 minutes to help us improve our online support experience? Get involved!

yes

Problem Syncing Personal Account with the Business Account

New member | Level 2

Hello,

My work recently offers free access to a Dropbox account. However, I had purchased & been paying for a personal Dropbox account. I'm trying to sync my personal account with my work. I was given instructions on how to create a work account and to sync the files from my personal account to the business one. However, going through the 8 steps, I was only able to get to the 6th steps. I was only able to get to create my account, and wasn't able to transfer the files to my work account or keep them separate between personal and business. Also, for the personal Dropbox account that I created, it's the same email address as my work email address. Does this make a difference? 

I'm trying to log into my personal account to see if I could change my email address to a personal email address, and then start the transfer of files again. However, I'm not able to log into the personal account because it won't allow me to enter a password. It says it's using a single sign on.

Can you please assist me and give me step by step instructions so that I can merge the files from the personal account with the business account?

Thanks!

3 Replies

Re: Problem Syncing Personal Account with the Business Account

Dropboxer

Hey there @josephineknle - sorry to hear you had this issue when trying to connect your personal and work accounts. 

Could you please tell me what steps are you following exactly? 

Note that at this time, Dropbox accounts can be associated with only one email address while Dropbox users on our Plus, Professional or Business plans are able to add a second one  too.

Also note that your email is the username for your Dropbox account. You can add a secondary email to your Dropbox account which will allow you to route content shared with your primary or secondary email into a single Dropbox account.

As you mentioned you are unable to sync both your Business and Personal Dropbox accounts on your desktop (as it's asking you to login using 'Single-Sign On')the admin of your Dropbox Business team may have chosen to prevent this action.  

You can reach out to your admin to ask for this setting to be changed. If you’re unsure of who your admin is, please visit this Help Center article 

Last but not least, just for reference, if you'd like to transfer your files from one Dropbox account to another, the easiest way is to share a folder.... Add the files you'd like to transfer to this folder and they will automatically sync with your other account.

Let me know how this goes Josephine.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Hi. Thanks for the quick reply. Below are the steps that were given to me. Step #7 wasn't even an option for me to complete. I was trying to transfer the files from the personal account to the business account. The personal account was also a USC email address. Thank you!

Issue/Question

• I am signing up for a USC Dropbox account.
  • I am a USC faculty member.
  • I already have a consumer Dropbox account that was signed up using my USC email address.

Environment

Cause (optional)

• If you already signed up for a consumer Dropbox account using your @usc.edu email address, you have two options once you request an account from USC:
    1. Merge your consumer account with your USC account (i.e., files are combined and the account is administered by USC now).
    2. Rename your consumer account using a personal email (i.e., you will have two Dropbox accounts: one brand new one with your USC email and your old consumer account with your personal email).

Resolution/Answer

1. Visit https://itservices.usc.edu/dropbox/.
  2. Click Create My Account.
  3. If prompted, log in using your USC NetID and password.
  4. Click Request My Account.
  5. Locate the email from no-reply@dropbox.com in your USC inbox.
  6. Click the activation link titled Join your team within the email.
  7. Under What do you want to do with your existing files?, select either Transfer to University of Southern California or Keep separate from University of Southern California.
  8. Click Join University of Southern California account.

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information @josephineknle - much appreciated.

I see your University is using their own onboarding flow - the site you quoted (https://itservices.usc.edu/dropbox/) is not administered by us whatsoever and at this point I'd suggest contacting your Team Admin for further assistance as this would be the best way to go from here.

If there's anything I can help with from my end in the meantime, please let me know. 

Thanks again!

PS: You can log a ticket with our team if you need assistance with account specific inquiries anytime you wish Josephine - we're just an email away! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Problem Syncing Personal Account with the Business Account
3 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post