Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Search Bar Not Working Correctly

Level 2

I use the search bar a million times a day and just yesterday the search function stopped working. I am using dropbox via Finder on my iMac and, while I can clearly see that the folders are in dropbox, when I search for them using the search bar, none of the files are showing. This is only a problem on my iMac as I am able to successfully use the search bar via the Dropbox Mobile App on my iPhone. 

5 Replies

Re: Search Bar Not Working Correctly

Dropboxer
Hi there @Sunflower1, sorry to hear that. 

Could you please further elaborate a bit so as to have a better understanding of the behavior? For example:
  • Are you seeing this occur with all or specific files?
  • Do you see the Dropbox icon next to your computer’s clock? If you see it, could you please send me a screenshot (omitting personal info) of what it reads when you click on it?
  • Have you also relaunched your Finder by any chance? Maybe that will do the trick.

More information
To do this:
  • Click on the Dropbox icon from your Desktop and quit the app.
  • Open your Activity Monitor from your Mac Utilities folder.
  • Force quit out of the instances of the desktop app that are running by searching for "Dropbox" in the search bar, then clicking on the "x" force quit icon on the top left.
  • Re-start Dropbox from the applications folder by double clicking on the Dropbox app.
  • Click on the Apple icon in the top left of your screen
  • Select "force quit".
  • Relaunch the finder.
Any additional info you could include on this in your next reply would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

We use Clio as a case management sytem and Dropbox will not find any of the Clio folders even though I can see them all listed in Dropbox. I do see the Dropbox screen next to the clock; however, I do not know how to clear a screen shot of confidential information listed when I click on it. It does note that it is up to date, though. I have relaunched Finder and have also re-started my computer but neither solved the problem. 

Dropboxer
Thanks for the swift reply, @Sunflower1

Could you please clarify if you’re searching for your files on the website, the desktop app, Finder, or through the third party app that you mention? Also, are you getting any errors? Have you tried rebooting your device by any chance?

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

I am searching via Finder. Dropbox is listed as one of the 'favorites'. I don't receive any errors and yes, I've tried re-starting my computer twice now and I am still having the same problem.

Super User II

@Sunflower1 wrote:

I am searching via Finder.

Dropbox has no control over how the search function of Finder works. It's part of your operating system; not Dropbox.

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Search Bar Not Working Correctly
5 Replies
1 Like
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post