cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selective Sync and subfolder

Selective Sync and subfolder

Christian78
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

Hi,

in the admin console, I've created a Team Folder. The standard synchronisation for this folder is set to "standardmäßig nicht synchronisiert", which must be something like "not synced by default". Each Team Member has to check the folder in the Selective Sync settings. Only then it is synced to the local Dropbox folder.

That works nicely.

What I experience is: even after the Team Member has checked the Team Folder in the Selective Sync settings, and even after everything is synced to the members, they don't see any new subfolder inside the Team Folder. They have to activate every new subfolder in the Selective Sync settings, although they have already set the whole Team Folder to be synced.

What am I doing wrong in the configuration?

Thanks for any good ideas!

Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Christian78,

That's right, if you change the setting it will only apply for newly connected devices. Unfortunately, since the changes in these settings aren't retroactive, there isn't currently a way to force the updated changes to all connected devices.

Possibly, the only way to achieve that would be to remove the members from the folders, and then share the folders again after applying to correct syncing defaults.

I hope that helps to some extent - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @Christian78,

If you've selected the top level folder to "not start synced" by default, then I'd recommend setting the settings for any sub folders created to be "synced by default". Applying this setting to the sub folders should only result in the folders syncing to the members' computers if they have specifically chosen to sync the top level folder.   

If you apply the same "not start synced" to the subfolders, they won't sync to the members' computers unless they then manually add them as you mentioned.

I hope this helps - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Christian78
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

Hey Daphne,

thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, makes sense. Seems like I've set up the config wrong in the beginning. When I now change the setting of the top level folder, this will only affect new connected computers, not the already existing members, isn't it?

Is there a possibility to initiate the existing connected computers to "re-sync" and apply the new setting to all Teamfolders (and all Sub-sub-sub-Folders)?

Thanks again for your help!

Christian

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Christian78,

That's right, if you change the setting it will only apply for newly connected devices. Unfortunately, since the changes in these settings aren't retroactive, there isn't currently a way to force the updated changes to all connected devices.

Possibly, the only way to achieve that would be to remove the members from the folders, and then share the folders again after applying to correct syncing defaults.

I hope that helps to some extent - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Christian78
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

Perfect Daphne, thanks a lot!

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No problem at all @Christian78, I'm glad I could help!

I'll always be around if you have any other questions, just give me a little nudge here. 

Here's to a great week ahead - cheers! :beers:

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    Christian78 Experienced | Level 11
What do Dropbox user levels mean?