cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Discover new ways to use Dropbox or share your tips with other users like you. Get involved

yes

Sharing location of a file that is deep in a tree without sending the online version link

New member | Level 2

I want to share the location of a file in the "Finder" (using Mac) of a shared Dropbox for work. I know I can use the "share" options in dropbox, but I don't want to send a link that opens an online version of the document, I want them to be able to jump to the folder that resides deep down one of the file paths in our Dropbox. I saw this issue was resolved before, but the solution was to make a comment so the folder was flagged with the red dot, but there is always a lot of activity in our shared folder, so there are a lot of red dots in many different folders and file paths.

We typically "get info" for the file and copy and paste the file path into a Slack message to tell others how to find the file, but it seems like there should be a better way. If a link could be configured to open the document on the other person's computer directly from their shared dropbox on their desktop (in Finder) rather than going to the online version that would be the best. Is there any way to send some kind of a "jump to file" link?

Re: Sharing location of a file that is deep in a tree without sending the online version link

Dropboxer
Hey @jernlurke, I’m not really sure if that would be ideal to you, however I found the following set of steps that could be useful regarding the task at hand: 

More information
  1. When the Terminal launches, drag and drop your file onto it, and the full path of the file will appear there in the Terminal window.
  2. Using “Go To Folder” to Reveal the File Path.
If you need guidance with that, then I’d recommend running a search on your preferred browser for "Reveal the Path of a File OSX” that should return some interesting results.

From there, I’m wondering if you’ve had a chance to see whether you could achieve what you have in mind with Shortcuts. Please have a look at this feature as well & do let me know how this works for you as an alternative option.

I hope that my message has been helpful to you & please let me know here if I’ve missed anything along the way or just in case you have any follow-up questions. Thanks! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Sharing location of a file that is deep in a tree without sending the online version link

New member | Level 2

Thanks Jane,

That doesn't quite accomplish my goal, but I'm not sure a solution exists. The shortcuts are not what I'm looking for, the terminal is about the same as what we're currently doing. I need to somehow "flag" a file in a way that would automatically flag all of its containing folders until unflagged. 

Dropboxer
Thanks for the additional info @jernlurke; now I’ve painted a clearer picture of what you had in mind initially! While I’ve now made a note of your feedback on my report internally to our desktop app engineers, I’ll also leave this question open to our Community of users; maybe someone could offer their insight on how you’d best go about on this request. 

Thanks again for taking the time to drop us a line on the Community & have a wonderful day ahead!

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3
You didn't help me. You take my phone data
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Hey @mafa2008, can you elaborate a bit on that for me please? Do you have the same inquiry as the OP on this thread or a different one? Thanks in advance! 

Jane

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Sharing location of a file that is deep in a tree without sending the online version link
15 Replies
10 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey