Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Sharing location of a file that is deep in a tree without sending the online version link

New member | Level 2

What would be the best way to share a file's location with someone I work with? Let's say we have the same shared folders, but we work with a lot of files and I want to tell him where to find a specific file...I know I could send him a link to the file, but that would take him to the dropbox website. Is there a way to send him a link so it will open up through the dropbox desktop application? 

15 Replies

Re: sharing file location

Super User

Hi,

Yes it is possible to achieve that. For this to work you and your partner should have common shared folder and you should pick a file from that shared folder. Here are the steps (I'm using Windows PC with Dropbox desktop app installed and using Chrome browser):

1) Pick any file, right click and then choose Copy Dropbox Link (either thru your file explorer or web site, doesn't really matter).

2) Send a link to your partner.

3) As soon as your partner clicks on file, he will be taken to dropbox online and be able to view the file thru browser.

4) On the top of the web page your partner will see Open button.

5) If you click on Open (depending on file format) you'll be given two options (1) Open using default system application (2) Show in file explorer

6) If you click on Show in File Explorer, you will be automatically taken to the folder where your shared file is saved.

Here is an example photo (where I am sharing a PDF file). Hope it helps:

11.JPG

New member | Level 2

I was able to figure this much out by talking searching online for answers, but I still have a problem and that is that my open button does not have a drop down menu. I think I may have an older version of dropbox. I will try updating my dropbox and see if the drop down works, unless you think it could be something else. 

Super User

Hi again,

As I told Open button will or won't have dropdown menu depending on file you are dealing with. If it doesn't have dropdown menu it is even better. Just click on Open and Dropbox will force Chrome to open the location of the file in your hard drive.

Here is another example photo where I am sharing R file and Open doesn't have dropdown menu. As soon as I click on Open browser will open a folder where I saved that particular file:

Capture.JPG

New member | Level 2

If I hit Open (no dropdown menu) it opens a document in Microsoft Online not in Finder (Mac). Ideally I would have a dropdown that allows me to choose to open in Microsoft Online or in my Finder. 

Super User

When I try to open shared Word document, I can see the dropdown menu under the Open button:

2.JPG

What kind of browser are you using on your Mac? As I wrote above I'm using windows/Chrome.

Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

I recommend for both of you to download the desktop app of dropbox in your computer because then you are going to start using dropbox like any other folder. You will not need to enter in the link every time you want to share some file ubication. You will use like a folder of your desktop, that you can copy in your "windows search"

ex: C:\Users\pablo\Dropbox\2017 aaa\4. Project\8. Documents\3. Mtto

Dropboxer
Hey everyone, 

@pvega’s suggestion is right on! When you have our desktop app installed, and the file you want to work on is synced to your local Dropbox folder, you can just open the document from your local drive. Any edits you make will be synced to your account online, and in turn to anyone you’re sharing the folder that contains it! 

Another benefit is that if you open the file online, while logged in to your account, the Open button will show an option to open with an application installed on your computer. In this case, you will see a choice to open with Word desktop (assuming you have Word installed on your computer), just like @behzod showed winking face

Cheers

Sanchez
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Dropboxer
Hey all, 

Getting back to the original question posed by @loganmdevg, there is another way to help someone find a particular file in a shared folder. 
You can draw attention to a file, even a particular part of a file, by commenting on it winking face.

This will notify the members of the shared folder that a comment has been made (red dot 🔴 on the bell).
 If the comment was made on a particular section/part of the file, clicking on View on file at the top part of the comment box will take you directly to the place where the comment was left! 
comment and notif.png

Cheers! 

Sanchez
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

I have the same problem, but there is always a lot of activity in the shared folder, so there are a lot of red dots in many different folders and file paths. We typically "get info" for the file and copy and paste the file path into a Slack message to tell others how to find the file, but it seems like there should be a better way. If a link could be configured to open the document on the other person's computer directly from their shared dropbox on their desktop rather than going to the online version that would be the best. Is there any way to send some kind of a "jump to file" link?

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Sharing location of a file that is deep in a tree without sending the online version link
15 Replies
10 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post