cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Smart Sync Default

Smart Sync is default to online-only but not working

pbuckland
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi all,

In my Smart Sync settings, I have the default set to online-only. i.e. new files should be set to online-only.

However, whenever someone adds a new folder+files to my shared folder, it selectively syncs to the folder and all files. I thought that it would show in explorer, but only in online-only mode...

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @pbuckland

In short, when you disable Smart Sync, the Selective Sync settings will apply. 

When Smart Sync is enabled on an account, the default settings apply for new content only, so your existing files/folders are not affected unless the Smart Sync settings are manually changed

Since your users are finding it difficult to manage both features, I understand that you want to disable Smart Sync, and have them only work with Selective Sync. Another way to do this would be to have each user set their preferences to Local for new files, go in and change to local any online-only content that they have manually set on existing content, and then only use the Selective Sync settings to manage things. Alternatively, they could select to sync all folders from the Selective Sync settings, and then use Smart Sync to manage it all. 

Cheers

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey pbuckland

I’ll try my best to shed some light on your inquiries below & thanks for getting in touch on the Community!

In my Smart Sync settings, I have the default set to online-only. i.e. new files should be set to online-only.

You may bear in mind that, regardless of the default option set by the team admin (i.e. Start new files as online-only), your Selective Sync settings shouldn’t be affected, as the two features can work independently. That being said, if you’ve already Selectively synced your folders, this setting will not change, hence you’ll still be able to see the latest updates online, though these will not sync down to your device. 

Of course, you can change the content you have available locally & switch between Selective Sync/ Smart Sync at any time by re-applying your Smart Sync & Selective settings, following these tips. 

I hope my advice is helpful to you, though it’ll be my pleasure to follow-up with more details, just let me know your follow-up questions in your next post here. Happy Friday! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Jane

Although @pbuckland uses the phrase "selective sync" I don't believe he's referring to the actual Selective Sync feature within Dropbox. I believe his complaint is that even though he has his entire Dropbox set to Online Only, new folders that are added within a share are still being downloaded to his computer. I don't think Selective Sync is actually being used here.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Could be so @Rich, though I'm curious as to whether my assumptions matched his experience, hence I focused more on what  @pbuckland described initially. I may be wrong, so if this is the case, I hope I’ll be given the chance to modify my initial advice in my next reply below… :upside_down:

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

pbuckland
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Let me try to clarify a little.

I have a shared folder, a sub-folder of this, and many many folders under this.

Something like this:

- Shared folder
  - Sub folder
    - Folder 1
    - Folder 2
    - Folder 3
    - Folder 4
    - Folder 195
    - Folder 196
    - Folder 197

Before Smart Sync started for us yesterday, I had selectively synced only Folder 1 and Folder 2, so only those two showed on my local PC.

When the Dropbox app set up Smart Sync for me, I selected the option to make all other non-selectively synced folders online-only. I then made all of "Shared folder" sync in the selective sync preferences, and the online-only folders now show without syncing locally. All is good in the world.

However, when another user creates a new folder, say "Folder 198", that folder is downloaded to my PC immediately. I would like any new folders like this one to show up, but in online-only mode. I don't want to have to manually set it to online-only once it has syced locally. I thought the setting would make any new folders online-only by default.

Cheers,
Paul

Minato
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @pbuckland,

Can you send us a screenshot of the the Sync tab and of the Selective Sync settings, so we can perform a more thorough investigation?

Both of the above are located on the Preferences of the app and to go there just click once on the System Tray icon, then click on the Gear icon and select Preferences option.

I hope to hear from you soon!

Minato
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

pbuckland
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

Here are my settings:

Sync.pngSelective sync.png

If another user adds a folder under "projects - active only" (so another new black rectangle), that folder is selectively synced to my PC and all it's contents downloaded. I expected it to automatically be selectively synced - that's no problem - but I expected it to default to online-only, but it has defaulted to local instead, and all it's content has downloaded.

This is a problem for many of our employees, as these folders can be huge and unknowingly take up their hard drive space.

Thanks,

Paul

Norah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey pbuckland, thanks for all the information provided!

As this is an issue that needs thorough investigation could you raise a ticket with our team here so that we can troubleshoot further for you

Once you’ve raised the ticket please include the ID and I’ll make sure that a colleague handles your case asap

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

pbuckland
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Many thanks, appreciate it.

My ticket number is #7804597, although I suspect it has been logged against my personal Dropbox account instead of my business one.

Cheers,

Paul

Norah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I’ve located the ticket you created and we’ll handle your case from there.

Let me know if you need anything further!

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox

Need more support?