cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sharing a folder problem

Unable to share folder since it contains a shared folder

esar2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello, I have created a folder with documents and folders that are labelled as: "Only You" for members.  It will not allow me to share this folder though because it says "This folder can only be shared as a link because it contains a shared folder".  I don't see any files inside this folder that are shared though.  I moved a lot of information into this folder and unshared some people from documents to make all ONLY YOU.  Does this take awhile to update before I can share with others?  Not sure why its showing as I only have access but not allowing sharing...  Please let me know how to resolve. Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Hi both @esar2 and @CyG, I am afraid that the folder you are trying to share contains at least one folder or subfolder which is already shared. Can you plese check that all folders and sub-folders do not have the shared folder icon (folder with people icon) as @Jay mentioned? If there are too many folders, and it is difficult for your to check all folders and subfolders throughly, here I have a workaround. 

You create a new folder inside your Dropbox folder. Then copy (not drag-and-drop or move) all the contents of the folder you want to share to inside this new folder. Now you can share this new folder, this should not have any issue. You can do this in a Desktop (with Dropbox app running) or from the Dropbox Web. However, note that you will need enough free space to have the duplicate of your share folder momentarily. Later you can delete the old folder. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there, even though you remove users from a shared folder, it is still considered shared in our system.

Could you check if any of the folders have the two person icon:

Folder - Shared.png 

Let us know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

CyG
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same issue as esar2. I think it must be a DropBox glitch.

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Hi both @esar2 and @CyG, I am afraid that the folder you are trying to share contains at least one folder or subfolder which is already shared. Can you plese check that all folders and sub-folders do not have the shared folder icon (folder with people icon) as @Jay mentioned? If there are too many folders, and it is difficult for your to check all folders and subfolders throughly, here I have a workaround. 

You create a new folder inside your Dropbox folder. Then copy (not drag-and-drop or move) all the contents of the folder you want to share to inside this new folder. Now you can share this new folder, this should not have any issue. You can do this in a Desktop (with Dropbox app running) or from the Dropbox Web. However, note that you will need enough free space to have the duplicate of your share folder momentarily. Later you can delete the old folder. 

starfishbysea
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same issue.  Pulled all files out of dropbox, copied them back in.  Didn't resolve the problem.  Members showed I was the only one.  Changed the "Type" column from Members to Folders.  Was able to see them named Folders or Shared.  For Shared folders I clicked Share and the Folder Settings (gear image on lower left) and Unshare.  If you are still unable to share the folder you have to click the subfolders to unshare any shared.  I found the best way to check is main subfolders had shared folders was to try to share it.  If is allowed me then it was unshared.  If not, I had to check if it's subfolders needed to be unshared.  

trentlee
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a folder that I want to share, within the folder is a lot of sub folders inside subfolders. Somewhere in the 100's  of folders within the main folder, there must have a shared folder because I am getting this message when I try and share it: 

"This folder can only be shared as a link because it contains a shared folder."

How can I find this needle in the haystack and unshare it or delete this folder so I can share everything?

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there (@trentlee), I’ve moved your post under the relevant discussion, so as to have a look at elixir & Jay’s suggestions above. Please check their pointers whenever you have some spare time & do let us know how these hints work for you whenever you get a chance. Thanks! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Yisroel
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

There's no reason why Dropbox requires such an absurd workaround as the accepted solution (to create another directory and move things into it).  They could easily tell us the path of the shared subfolder.  Perhaps they are making work for us so that we upgrade to a more expensive service??

Caroline R.8
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I am having the same issue, and no solution worked. It says that I am the only member, I am the owner yet I cannot copy the link nor add anyone. No option to unshare. 

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @Caroline R.8, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this!

Can you just clarify for me where you're currently trying to share the folder from? Eg. the website, desktop app or mobile app.

If you haven't tried already, can you let me know if you're able to share the folder from the website? 

Also, just to clarify, does the folder report in the Member column "Only you" or "1 member"?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?