Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Updating Folder Hierarchy and Dropbox Cleanup

Zil
Level 6

I am the dropbox admin for a 15 person $5 Million company that has been using Dropbox as its sole file storage for approximately 8 years.  Over time it has just become a mess.  Unfortunately, due to the way Dropbox handles; file moving, renaming and general file structure, our attempts at cleanup has made more headaches than solutions.  We almost need a fresh start.  Does anyone have any recommendations for this?  Some of the issues we are facing are:

1) People have certain files named different things which are creating confusion.  Ex everyone is using a Business Development File but once shared with me it came through with the original name of "Business Development 2016"  

2) I am not the original creator of all of the folders because some of them are from prior to me working with the company.  Because of this these folders are not allowed to be edited or moved by me.

3) When you move something it creates a company-wide panic because everyone gets an alert that the file has been "deleted"

4) People may be working in a file that you need to move and there is no way to know if they are or kick them out temporarily.  (We have a few insomniacs that are known to do work from home at even 10 pm or 4 am)

Has anyone performed a successful cleanup?  How did you execute this?  Did you need to use the help of an outside vendor or software?  Is there any way to kick everyone off Dropbox, download everything, move it around how you like and replace your Dropbox with the updated structure?  Does Dropbox provide any add-on services to help with this?

Thank you for any advice you can provide!  

4 Replies

Re: Updating Folder Hierarchy and Dropbox Cleanup

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there, shared folders are always shared with their original name.

So, if later a user changes the name of the folder, it only changes on their machine. If they then share the folder, it won’t have the name they used but the original name.

The only way for the folder to have the correct name for all users is to unshare the folder completely, rename it to what you want, and then share it again.

If you don’t have edit access to the folder, if you’re the admin on an Advanced Dropbox Business team, you can sign in as a user and make the changes from their account.

Regarding the deletions, moving a file or folder from a shared folder to another folder (be it private or another shared folder), then it would be classed a deletion in the system, but also an immediate addition to the new location.

If the user is on a Microsoft document, you can see in the Dropbox Badge if a person is currently on the file.

The best way to make the changes would be to suspend the users from the team, which also gives you the option to delete the files from their Dropbox folders. This would make sure they’re starting from a clean slate.

Once you’ve made the changes, you can unsuspend the users and the new structure will download to their machines. 

Also, bear in mind that you can’t sign in as a user when they are suspended, so you’ll need to change the shared folders for those members before suspending their accounts.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Zil
Level 6

Thank you for offering a solution. That seems like a very time intensive process that would interrupt a lot of work.  I will definitely consider it.   I would be great if Dropbox or an outside vendor offered an assist with this sort of thing.  

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I can forward this suggestion to our dev team for future consideration to improve the service!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Zil
Level 6

Sounds great!  I imagine over time numerous long-time clients need some sort of clean up tool. 

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Updating Folder Hierarchy and Dropbox Cleanup
4 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution