Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

We're having an issue with Conflicted Copies in Dropbox. Can you advise on how to best address that?

Explorer | Level 4

Our business has recently moved to Dropbox Business and we (the IT team) are implementing it with great enthusiasm.

However, the almost exclusive feedback from our staff is that conflicted copies are super annoying. I absolutely agree with that because most of the time you don't even realise you have created one.

I feel like if you're going to give people the opportunity to share a document or spreadsheet, how come the Dropbox badge doesn't always appear when someone else is currently in the file? That should not be a problem, it should almost smack you in the face! Within the IT team we are quite good at recognising when someone else *might* be in a file (changes only saved recently or the like) but currently it is not very obvious for your average user that just wants to get on with their work.

Can Dropbox please look into this, or give some better guidance on how to avoid these? Moving files in and out of folders is not very practical.

Thanks a lot!

3 Replies

Re: Are conflicted copies also ruining your Dropbox experience?

Dropboxer
Hey anjaporter, let me send me send you some tips to improve this behavior & we’ll take it from there! 

Please note that if two people in your office are editing an Office document at the same time and both of them have unsaved changes, they’ll see the red Dropbox badge with an exclamation mark. At this point, if they save by clicking the floppy disk or using Ctrl + S or Cmd + S, they’ll create a conflicted copy.

To avoid a conflicted copy, we recommend that when one of the editors sees another person editing — they’ll see the red Dropbox badge with the lock icon — they could coordinate with that person to take turns editing.

If both have unsaved changes — they’ll see the red Dropbox badge with the exclamation mark — we recommend that you use “Save As” to save a separate version of the file that you can work in, until the other editor is done editing.

I hope that my advice is helpful to you & I’d happily discuss it in more detail here in case you need further assistance! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4
Hi Jane, thanks for this, I've included a bit more on this in our internal guides including screenshots of the different types of badge so hopefully that will just raise a bit more awareness.

Dropboxer
Happy to hear I could contribute to that, even slightly, with this info. I’m just following-up to let you know that I’m always here in case you have any more questions or you’d wish to share your thoughts with us & it’ll be a pleasure to work with you again. Take care! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

We're having an issue with Conflicted Copies in Dropbox. Can you advise on how to best address that?
3 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post