cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Best Way to Backup Dropbox

What's the best way to back up the Dropbox folder if I don't have enough space to sync all files?

TimP
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello,

I'm using Dropbox Business with Smart Sync.

I would like to brckup my entire dropbox to an external hardware (alternative ideas welcome). According to Dropbox support I would have to:

• move my dropbox folder to the external hard drive
  • change smart sync settings to all local
  • move my dropbox folder back to the computer hard drive
  • adjust all smart sync settings

According to support there is no way to just download the entire dropbox to an external hard drive. Additionally "there's a small—but real—chance that the app will start deleting files". So that is obviously not an option.

Question: How do I backup my dropbox?

30 Replies 30

CEHTeam
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Do you happen to know if there is an option like SyncBackPro for mac? FileZilla Pro does for Google Drive what SBP does for Dropbox with Windows.  Would love to solve this problem!

While I work on a Mac, we do have a PC in our home. I'm actually contemplating getting a 4TB HDD added to our main PC strictly to have the full contents of Dropbox downloaded and kept locally there as a backup.  Wish Dropbox made it easier but I love it and want to use it.  Just have to figure out to have local backups copies of my data too.

michelemx
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

HI Jane,

Ive read your suggestions re backing up Dropbox but have some further questions.

My current Dropbox is approximately 450gb (out of 2 TB).  I recently bought a new laptop with 500 gb hard drive.  On my new laptop I have installed Dropbox but all files are set to online as I dont want to fill up my new laptop. I have a 5TB external hard drive that I would like to use to back up my Dropbox files. I also would like to synch my drop box with the HDD as I work.

Is this possible? 

all the best,

Michele

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Welcome to the Community @michelemx, happy Monday! :slight_smile:

Yes. You can move your Dropbox folder to an external hard drive. 

:books: Please find the steps and more info for external hard drives here. 

If you need more help with this, we are here for you. 

Cheers!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Etienne2
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hello,
You Said you can « move » your Dropbox to an external Hard Drive.
But can you just « copy » it to an external hard drive, to do a complete backup for exemple?
Thank’s for your help.

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Yes you can. Go for it! :slight_smile:

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Etienne2
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I just tried... but I realized we are not talking about the same thing.

I would like to do a complete backup of my Dropbox account from the ONLINE version.

I don't have all the files on my computer because it takes way too much spaces with all my pictures and videos.

Is there a simple solution to make a complete backup from ALL my files directly from the ONLINE Dropbox site to an external disk?

I'm sure that a lot of people would like to make such an "easy" backup from all their files that are online on their account to an external disk (like a removal disk for exemple).

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

michelemx
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Etienne,

I would like to do this too! What I gather is that Drop box will only download to a hard drive that is connected to your computer's operating system. My question is whether it is ok to remove the hard drive once your computer is turned off or if there is a danger that files will disappear?

At the moment I am working with image files from online versions which is very slow going as I have to download each one. I would love to be able to use my external hard drive to speed things along.

all the best,

Michele

Hsd
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Use a program like SynkBackPro or Beyond Compare. They can connect to DropBox like any other drive and allow you to synchronize/backup data between locations. SynkBackPro is Windows only. Beyond Compare is available for Windows and Mac OS X.

With this you can copy all data from the cloud to an USB disk.

Etienne2
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Thank’s!
That’s exactly what I would like to do.
I’ll check and try.

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi everyone! 

@Etienne2 I am glad you found a third party solution to back up the online version of Dropbox directly from the web. :nerd:

@Hsd I wanna welcome you to the Community and say I am glad to have a new user posting solutions. :white_check_mark: folded hands@michelemx If you need to unplug the external hard drive, you need to unlink the Dropbox desktop app from the Dropbox folder on your external drive. This way, when you turn on your computer again, the app will no longer be connected with the folder and you will not get any error or deletions.

Starting the Dropbox app after unlinking, will prompt you to insert your credentials and will create a new Dropbox folder on your C drive that will no longer sync with the external back up. 

I'd be happy to talk about this more if you have more questions. 

Cheers! 

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?