Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

When moving folders within a hardlink folder Dropbox sees it as a move out of a team folder

New member | Level 2

I have a junction folder (similar to a symbolic link on windows) placed in dropbox. I attempted to move a folder from one place to another within that junction and dropbox incorrectly thought I was moving the folder outside of the team's folder.

Here is a breakdown of what happened:

- To begin with, "C:\Dropbox\Projects\MyJunctionFolder\" is a junction of "C:\MySourceFolder\"

- I moved:
from "C:\MySourceFolder\FolderToMove" to "C:\MySourceFolder\SubFolder\FolderToMove"

- Then I paused dropbox syncing and resumed so it would notice the change (btw please change that behaviour). On the dropbox side it would be:
from "C:\Dropbox\Projects\MyJunctionFolder\FolderToMove" to "C:\Dropbox\Projects\MyJunctionFolder\SubFolder\FolderToMove"

- But dropbox pops a dialog saying "To move this folder out of it's team folder, go to Dropbox.com website" which is incorrect. I'm not moving the folder out of the team "Dropbox/Projects" folder. Then dropbox automatically moves "FolderToMove" back to "C:\Dropbox\Projects\MyJunctionFolder\FolderToMove".

In the meantime is there a way to disable this "feature" so it can work as expected?

3 Replies

Re: Bug: When moving folders within a hardlink folder dropbox sees it as a move out of a team folder

Super User II
Unfortunately the issue is that Dropbox does not support symlinks or Junctions because of issues like this.

The only way I can think around it is to remove the junctions and use the actual folders inside Dropbox and put the junctions at the original location.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Re: Bug: When moving folders within a hardlink folder dropbox sees it as a move out of a team folder

New member | Level 2

@Mark: Thanks for the reply. Putting the source folder in Dropbox not an option. I'm using multiple programs and some of them do not like junctions and/or they create large cache folders which would make Dropbox sync constantly and cause syncing conflicts.

To be clear this setup works as expected on my personal account. It doesn't make sense to me that I would be able to do more with a personal account than a business account especially for situations like this which are work related.

For the moment it looks like I will be syncing my business related work on my personal account.

Super User II
Unfortunately, Mark is correct. Dropbox won't even provide support if you have symlinks or junctions in your Dropbox folder structure. I'm afraid you're on your own with this one.
Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

When moving folders within a hardlink folder Dropbox sees it as a move out of a team folder
3 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post