Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Highlighted

enabling smart sync broke my ability to eject external hardrives and freezes my finder on mac

Helpful | Level 5

when I enabled smaret sync it seames to have broke my ability to eject external hardrives and freezes my finder on mac EVERYTIME I try

I use and external SSD to sync as my dropbox account so when I am done working I eject the hardrvie and shut down. And then plug it back in and trurn on the next day. I ahve doen this for years and had zero issues. I am a team admin for a accoutn that is abotu 700Gb of space, most use laptops with 500 Gb ssd so they cant sync locally without an external HD. I figuerd we could do smart sync and only save locally active client work and make our archive online only.  I was the test subject to impliment this and ever since I enabled smart sync. If I try to exect my hardrive it wont and it freezes my finder. Creating the need for a hard restart. This si rediculous

I have turned off "finder intergration" in hopes this would help...it did not.. and truthfully I use right click copy link ALL day long. this wouldnt be an option anyway. 

I ccant seem to "Turn off" or Remove smart sync all together. to test that the behavior is back to normal. 

Smart Sync just screwed me. how Do I get my life back. 

3 Replies

Re: enabling smart sync broke my ability to eject external hardrives and freezes my finder on mac

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there, generally, we don’t recommend having the Dropbox folder on an external drive, since it can lead to performance issues, unexpected behavior, and potential data loss.

Using Smart Sync on an external drive, one that you also frequently disconnect (though you haven’t mentioned if the Dropbox desktop application is still running when you do this) is probably one of these unknown behaviors, regardless if it worked in the past.

Could you confirm that the external drive is running a supported file system for Mac? It should be APFS or HFS+.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: enabling smart sync broke my ability to eject external hardrives and freezes my finder on mac

Helpful | Level 5

My exteranl is set up for Mac properly. And I first tried turning off the finder intergration and that didnt help. I then did the disabling of the Dropbox system extension on my account only not the whole team. that is were I am now. When I disabled the extention. it actually signed me out of dropbox entirely and when I whent to sign back in. instead of seeing my stuyff It forced me to rebuild the database. it didnt know were the content was, and when I selected the same location were the files live, it jsut started syncing all 700Gb. 

ps. this as always been a problem for me with dropbox. probably user error. But if Drobox ever looses a handle on were it is... you cant just do a quick resync of data. it seams to redownload and rebuilt the data base.. if you have a huge database that is a horible sceneario. Why can't it jsut look 1:1 to the directory that you have on the cloud and the directory I have locally and remathc them and sync any new files... this would be normal right. there is no way that is what is happening as it will atake 2 days for it to "sync" the 700 Gb. that is write speed. not verify differences speed

Helpful | Level 5

and when I would eject in the past. the desktop app was still running for sure. You would get a popup that basically says. were did I go. resync - or disregaurd.  i pick disregaurd and then when I plug back in the drive it jsut auto reconnects to it and just syncs any new things that have happend while it was off. it worked great

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

enabling smart sync broke my ability to eject external hardrives and freezes my finder on mac
3 Replies
3 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post