cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Submit your story to win a $25 Amazon gift card and a Dropbox hoodie! Ends Nov. 16
Known issues updated Learn more
14 Comments
3 Likes
Highlighted
Level 1

Main Dropbox Folder name - Team Folder

I decided to try to Team function and now my main DB folder (previously called "Dropbox") now has the name of the Team (i.e. Dropbox "..Team Name..").

I have since deleted the Team and now want to change the main Folder name back to good old "Dropbox"..............

Note - I only have one DB folder - (Not a Team and Personal one).

Any ideas on how I can change it back??

Thanks!

14 Replies
Community Manager

Re: Main Dropbox Folder name - Team Folder

Hi Arley!

Are you using a Mac or a PC?

Thanks slightly smiling face

Level 1

Thanks very much Laureline for taking the time to respond.  I've now fixed the problem.  I created a new folder called "Dropbox" - deleted the link to the old one and re-synched to the new folder.  Took a few hours.......maybe 10 - but all is now back to normal.  I then deleted the old folder and the Team Folder.  Won’t do that again!

I think that the folks at DB should warn people that the use of a Team Folder will change the name of their main DB Folder!

Any - all good and thanks for your reply............PS - I'm on a Mac.

Cheers!

Level 1

HI.. I'm on a Mac and have the same problem as Arley had - i.e. tried out Team, then deleted the Team folder and the Team, but am stuck with my main Dropbox folder now named "Dropbox (Abc Co.)", where 'Abc Co.' is the team name.

I want my main dropbox folder to be name just 'Dropbox' as earlier, but my Mac doesn't allow me to do it. And, I dont want to create a new folder and delete the old one and re-sync as Arley did .. I've got quite a bit of data and it'll take far more than 10hrs to sync at my Net speed..! Help!

Level 1

HI - Wish I could help - but it worked - although it did take some time.

FYI - I have 250 GB of files.

Cheers!

Level 1

So how do you "delete" the link to now Dropbox (Team Name) folder and sync to a new folder? I am pissed that Dropbox doesn't warn you that you can't go back. Jeewhiz, what a poorly thought through decision. I wanted to try out Team and Paper, who knew I'd now have to waste my time and bandwidth to fix something that should never have been broken.

Level 1

Arley K I would love a step by step. I CANNOT get Dropbox to drop the team name. I now have a Dropbox permanently named with an employer forever more, what if I change jobs? 

Level 1

Hi Chris - as I noted previously - what I did was create a Temp folder (call it anything) and copied the entire contents of the Team folder into it.  Once completed and I was certain that all the contents were safely moved - I deleted the "Team" Folder.  Once this was done - I re-named the Temp folder to Dropbox.  You will not be able to change the name until the Team folder is deleted.  FYI - I was pissed as well and they certainly made a mistake by not advising people that using the Team function was going to permanently change the name of the main DB folder - but - they're far from morons......I certainly would not want to operate my business without Dropbox!

Level 1

Somehow I managed to do something sort of similar, now I have Dropbox (Personal) and Dropbox (TeamName), and all my own stuff is in the Personal one. Could not repeat how I did this. So perhaps at some point, I can actually delete the Team account...because I am not going to use this and have some other sync issue come up. As it was, Dropbox dropped support for older Macs that people like me were still using, and many in the community were furious about it, since the whole point of DB was to sync across multiple computers. Not everyone buys the latest and greatest device every 2 years.

Level 1

I think you've got it - once you're sure all your stuff has been moved - the system should allow you to delete the Team folder.  Sorry - I'm one of those folks who cant wait to buy the new stuff.  I'm sitting on a 2.5 year old fusion iMac and itching to upgrade already!  Sad actually - but the Kool Aid still tastes good! LOL!

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post