Did you mean: 

Free team from a pro account

SOLVED
4 Comments
3 Kudos
Level 4

Free team from a pro account

Have a pro account.

Looking at a free team option. I seem to have two choices - convert or a duplicate account.

On converting what happens to the 1TB of data?

On coverting to a free team can I go back to a pro account?

On a duplicate acocunt - how much space would I have?

Really not sure, as it all appears to be a one time choice.  Do not wish to make the change if I can't revert back if the free team offers no real benefit over a shared folder between two people.

2 Accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution
Dropboxer

Re: Free team from a pro account

Hello!

When you join a free Dropbox team, you use your Pro quota. So essentially you keep your Pro account and you are in a team.

You can leave the free team whenever you want

If you go over your individual storage quota, shared folders or files stop syncing for you only and not other members.

If you join a free team with another account, for example a new Basic account, you will have only 2GB available since that's the quota limit for the free accounts. If you upgrade to a Dropbox Business plan you can have unlimited space on your team.

You can read everything about free teams here: www.dropbox.com/help/9124

Hope this covers everything!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you find my post helpful your Kudos  are appreciated!

If it answered your question, please mark White check mark Accept as Solution below so other users can find it quickly!  slightly smiling face  

Solution
Super User II

And remember that with a free team, each member is still limited to whatever quota they have in their own account. You have 1TB as a Pro user, but they don't get to take advantage of that if they're Basic users.

4 Replies
Highlighted
Solution
Dropboxer

Hello!

When you join a free Dropbox team, you use your Pro quota. So essentially you keep your Pro account and you are in a team.

You can leave the free team whenever you want

If you go over your individual storage quota, shared folders or files stop syncing for you only and not other members.

If you join a free team with another account, for example a new Basic account, you will have only 2GB available since that's the quota limit for the free accounts. If you upgrade to a Dropbox Business plan you can have unlimited space on your team.

You can read everything about free teams here: www.dropbox.com/help/9124

Hope this covers everything!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you find my post helpful your Kudos  are appreciated!

If it answered your question, please mark White check mark Accept as Solution below so other users can find it quickly!  slightly smiling face  

Solution
Super User II

And remember that with a free team, each member is still limited to whatever quota they have in their own account. You have 1TB as a Pro user, but they don't get to take advantage of that if they're Basic users.

Level 4

Thanks all.

So essentially nothing happens to the pro or basic accounts and you can create a free team to try it out without affecting anything?

I would opt for a business account, but with a 5 user minimum it is not worth it for 2 of us.

Just two other question.

If I upload say 500gb of data to my pro account and share that data with my colleague can she see and alter this data even if she has a basic account?

Secondly, if I run out of space is my only option to open up a second pro account and share that space with my first account and my colleagues account?

Any issues with either of these scenarios?

Preferring Dropbox over Google's and Microsofts offering even if I do have to be very selective on which folders are synced to my mac otherwise the hard drive is quickly full!
Super User II

isdoo wrote:
So essentially nothing happens to the pro or basic accounts and you can create a free team to try it out without affecting anything?

Basically, yes. I've added and removed a team several times from a Basic account that I use for testing. You will lose the Camera Upload feature when you add a Team though. Team accounts get flagged as a Business account because Teams is a business class feature, and Camera Uploads does not work with business class accounts.

If I upload say 500gb of data to my pro account and share that data with my colleague can she see and alter this data even if she has a basic account?

No. She would be limited to the amount of space available in her account.

Secondly, if I run out of space is my only option to open up a second pro account and share that space with my first account and my colleagues account?

Yes and no. You can open a second Pro account but you can't merge the space into your first account. In other words, each account would still be limited to the 1TB of space that a Pro account provides. You could share a folder between the two accounts, but that wouldn't give the ability to store 2TB in that folder.