cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken links in InDesign files on macOS Monterey 12.3.1

Broken links in InDesign files on macOS Monterey 12.3.1

RobWilkins
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi there,

I've been happily working with Indesign files in Dropbox for a year now where my files are all stored Online Only. It used to be the case that Dropbox would automatically relink all the supporting files that are stored on Dropbox.com Screenshot 2022-04-16 at 08.18.07.pngand I would be able to edit the InDesign file. Recently, upon opening an InDesign file all the links to picture files etc are broken. 

Added to that, when I try to relink the files through InDesign I get a message that reads: Import Failed! (see attachment). My Dropbox App says that the files I am trying to relink are all Zero Bytes. When I access my account at Dropbox.com the files are all good.

The only way I seems that I can relink my files is if I download them to my iMac.

I'm currently using Mac OS Monterey 12.3.1.

Any ideas?

66 Replies 66

Bill W.36
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This has been a month ago. Any progress? This is just a pain!

Leel
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Major productivity issues for our team too - looking forward to a solution ASAP

Shloh_
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Hello
I contacted the Dropbox support for the same reasons and they told me that the restriction come from the new MacOS so we need to load the files manually...
They concluded with « unless Apple changes its OS, this restriction will exist forever from now on Â».

RobWilkins
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The longer this issue existed without Dropbox finding a solution, the more I thought it might be an Apple OS problem. It's a pain in the proverbial – I do hope Dropbox and Apple are in discussions about a solution…but I'm not holding my breath!

andygin72
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Wow, that's a bit rubbish. I guess the solution is to move from Dropbox to iCloud - I am paying for 2TB for both. I tried before and it was a bit of a disaster - does anyone know if iCloud has improved? 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey everyone, I hope you're doing well!

First of all, let me apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused. We definitely appreciate your patience. 

It's important to also note, that we're still working actively for Monterey full support on our end. You can see more about this here. Therefore, nothing is set yet and this is an active, ongoing project.

If you have any questions, let me know. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

tobiasknecht
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello all together

I have the same problem in InDesign with files that are only online and despair almost every day when I have to edit InDesign jobs where I have to locate the files in the Finder first and download them every time.

Now I have discovered a workaround:

1. Open a job in InDesign
  2. Select all entries in "Links"
  3. Right-click on the menu item "Edit With" > "Preview 11.0".
  4. After all files have been opened in Preview, quit Preview.
  5. Switch back to InDesign.
  6. Continue working.

I hope this helps some of you.

alextad
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am glad I am not the only one with this issue. I am currently downloading the packaged Indesign file from Dropbox.com straight to my computer to resolve this issue. I have Monterey 12.5. Hopefully my links will work now.

davemckane
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Fantastic!! This worked a treat! 30 minutes updating multiple images reduced to 30 seconds. Thank you for this!

sayntzero
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you. This work around is a life saver. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Genie123 Helpful | Level 5
    Beauriz Helpful | Level 6
    RobWilkins Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?