cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We’ve covered lots of big life moments in our ‘How we use Dropbox’ series - and now we even have some tips on how you can use Dropbox to keep the planning of a wedding as easy and as painless as possible over here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can I set my whole dropbox to sync as online only?

Can I set my whole dropbox to sync as online only?

feedingducks
New member | Level 2

Hi there. I'd like to be able to set my whole dropbox to sync to my laptop as 'online only', so that I can see all my files and folders on my laptop (or in the app on my laptop - is there any difference?) rather than having to use the web browser to find stuff that isn't synced. I don't need a local copy of everything, but I'd like to be able to see the content as I do when a folder is online only. 

Is there a way to do this without having to download a local copy first? i.e. I don't want to have to selective sync a folder, wait for it to sync to my laptop, then tell the folder to be 'online only'. This would take ages. Am I missing something?

Is there any way to do this in one go, rather than folder by folder?

Thanks in advance!

1 Reply 1

Re: Can I set my whole dropbox to sync as online only?

behzod
Super User

Hi,

What is the operating system of your laptop? From your question, it seems that you want to:

1) Have only online copies of the files

2) Not bother with downloading/uploading/searching using the browser

If it is Chrome OS then here is the solution that I personally use:

1) Download "Solid Explorer" from the Google's PlayStore (although it is a paid app, it is highly rated one. There are plenty of free options if you search the PlayStore)

2) Add your Dropbox account. You'll have an access to all of your Dropbox files (no need to download any of your files). 

If you are using Windows machine then:

1) Download TotalCommander (https://www.ghisler.com/download.htm it is free app)

2) Install Cloud plugin (https://www.ghisler.com/plugins.htm#filesys)

Drawbacks:

1) You'll need constant internet access.

2) You have to use 3rd party app

Need more support?