cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't open files in 3ds MAX that are on Dropbox

Can't open files in 3ds MAX that are on Dropbox

NikLG
Explorer | Level 4

**Just thought I'd edit this top post**
I think this has been resolved quietly by either Dropbox or Autodesk, as I no longer have any problems

with syncing or anything.

Hello all,

Similar to this issue :-

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/3D-Studio-Max-Files-won-t-open-from-Dropbox-fo...

( if not identical.. )

I recently moved over to a new PC, and since then I have been having loads of issues opening older ( older than my new PC ) files that are stored on Dropbox. I never had any issues before, and for some reason, some files do work...

My setup is identical, as far as MAX and Dropbox are concerned at least.

There is no issue with missing or corrupt files, or versions of 3ds MAX.

I get this error ( file names redacted...):-

NikLG_0-1636649324505.png

I also get similar issues with some materials, where MAX can't find the texture files...

If anyone has any idea I would be very grateful. It's driving me mad. I am convinced there's some kind of simple solution 

that will have me slapping my forehead ( there may not be.. ).

Thanks !

31 Replies 31

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Hi @NikLG, I hope you're having a great day so far! 

Can you let me know if all of your files are synced locally or online-only

Keep in mind that the error in the screenshot isn't coming from Dropbox directly. 

Keep me posted.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

NikLG
Explorer | Level 4

They are synced locally when I open them.

If it helps, it seems to be only 3ds MAX that has the issue.

Yesterday, I opened a file in Photoshop that MAX wouldn't open, and resaved it to Dropbox with the same 

name, and in the same location, and MAX would then see it and open it.

So it may well be a MAX issue rather than Dropbox...

TOMSAL
New member | Level 2

I have exactly the same thing.  It works on files on the machine where they originated , it no longer opens on my other machine tho.

TOMSAL
New member | Level 2

As an aside there is there is a thread on this on the autodesk forums. it's definetly a dropbox thing.  because if you copy paste the file (even in fropbox) it fixes the issue.  

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-forum/dropbox-will-preview-a-3ds-max-file-but-won-t-open-it/t...

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @TOMSAL,

The best thing you can do is turn your "Smart Sync" (especially in quotes) off and make your files local (not "online only" with cloud emblem). If you don't want to turn off entire (Non)"Smart sync" for some reason, do this (set to local) on all files you are working on currently, at least.

Hope this helps.

TOMSAL
New member | Level 2

I've never used smartsync and all my files are already local.  Just doublechecked..

It's kinda weird, copying the file does solve the problem for now.  But that's impractical in the long run.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@TOMSAL wrote:

... all my files are already local.  Just doublechecked..

How do you "doublechecked" it? What is the emblem on some troublesome file? is it a tick on green background or white cloud?

@TOMSAL wrote:

..., copying the file does solve the problem for now.  ...

Of course, it will always do in such a way. 😉 Locally manipulated files are... local (for some time, at least). Make the things sure; don't left with guessing. I believe on the files, that you made some copying on, emblem got changed from cloud to tick. Isn't it?

TOMSAL
New member | Level 2

TOMSAL_0-1650814626096.png

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Yes, and that's on a file you can successfully open now... Does some troublesome file left? (that you haven't "copying" yet) 🧐 What's the same menu showing there?

Need more support?