cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't open files in 3ds MAX that are on Dropbox

Can't open files in 3ds MAX that are on Dropbox

NikLG
Explorer | Level 4

**Just thought I'd edit this top post**
I think this has been resolved quietly by either Dropbox or Autodesk, as I no longer have any problems

with syncing or anything.

Hello all,

Similar to this issue :-

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/3D-Studio-Max-Files-won-t-open-from-Dropbox-fo...

( if not identical.. )

I recently moved over to a new PC, and since then I have been having loads of issues opening older ( older than my new PC ) files that are stored on Dropbox. I never had any issues before, and for some reason, some files do work...

My setup is identical, as far as MAX and Dropbox are concerned at least.

There is no issue with missing or corrupt files, or versions of 3ds MAX.

I get this error ( file names redacted...):-

NikLG_0-1636649324505.png

I also get similar issues with some materials, where MAX can't find the texture files...

If anyone has any idea I would be very grateful. It's driving me mad. I am convinced there's some kind of simple solution 

that will have me slapping my forehead ( there may not be.. ).

Thanks !

31 Replies 31

TOMSAL
New member | Level 2

TOMSAL_0-1650816145631.png

No it is not is the file that does not open and give this error message..

Again local doesn't seem to be the problem.. It is the file that was copied locally that opens.  This one that got synced from my other pc does not open. 

so no... this does not sadly solve it.

Again the workaround is to copy the file locally and work from that.   making it 'local' in the dropbox pulldown changes nothing.

NikLG
Explorer | Level 4

Sorry that you are having the same issue as me, but also glad it's not only me !

I can use files on Dropbox fine if I have ever saved them from my machine. Is it the same case

with your work ?

Even if someone else has handled them in the interim, I can open them again as expected.

It's just old files ( previous machine ) and other peoples files that I can't access ( MAX not recognising as max files )

TOMSAL
New member | Level 2

the same

samrikken
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

Has someone found a solution to this problem?

We just hired a new team member and he is now unable to work on our projects.

Best,

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @samrikken, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you please share some additional information so that we can assist further?

For example, are the problematic files locally available or online only? Are you perhaps getting any specific errors?

If so, a screenshot would also help!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

samrikken
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Walter,

Thanks for you reply.

Our problem is about the same as descripted before. 

We work with a remote team on 3DS Max projects with all files shared within a dropbox folder.

Up until now we had never any troubles with it. Now our new teammate is unable to get 3DS max to find the files in the dropbox folder.

He can open the 3D files and all works well, only 3DS Max can find/connect to all the textures that are also shared inside dropbox. So that is pretty useless. We receive the error seen below:

3dsmax-dropbox-error.jpg

We have discovered that textures that are within the same folder of the 3D file are loaded into 3DS Max. 

Only the textures that are within a different folder 3DS Max can not open. We can find them in the image browser, but when opening the texture we get the error: File ... could not be found.

*Putting all textures within the same folder can be a short term solution but it is not something are able to uphold long-term.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the additional details and the screenshot too @samrikken

Can you please confirm that the files that are giving you errors are locally available to your computer and not online only? 

If you've ensured that the files you're trying to access from 3DS Max are locally synced indeed, can you try quitting our desktop app and see if you still get any errors? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

samrikken
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Walter 

We have check the settings of drobox and they are set for local storage for all files, see below.
When checking the files itself it also states that the files are indeed saved locally.

screen-09.jpg

But indeed as soon as we close the Dropbox application files are shown as not saved locally and do not load when trying to open them.

That does seem in line with the error we get "file .... could not be found" while it is visible in the explorer.

Hope you have an idea of what is going on here and how we can try to fix this.

Thanks in advance, 

Sam

Walter
Dropbox Staff

I can see that the rest of the folder is online-only, Sam - have you tried making the whole folder locally available to your computer? 

Also, can you clarify if you get an error when trying to open those files with our desktop app completely closed? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

lukaszwolenski
Explorer | Level 4

3Ds Max can not see and re-link to its scene local files, that were before - even for a minute - online-only via dropbox. Other software works fine with it (for example After Effects). Its a massive problem. I have around 1.5TB libraries of proxies and textures and old 3D files made on other PC in 3Ds Max. And this files are usless on other PC with downloading all 1.5TB libraries LOCAL by drobox. Its an catastrify, I payed for dropbox just for this purpose and it doesnt work...

Somehow in re-downloaded files (automatic by dropbox) there is some note that 3Ds Max can not recognize as local file. What can we do? research and update needed! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mariohyeah New member | Level 2
    lukaszwolenski Explorer | Level 4
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Gika New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?