cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Sync errors, because of tilde character?

Couln't download. Remove incompatible characters from the filename

Dimples
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Recently all of my computer with Dropbox have started showing a sync error "Couln't download. Remove incompatible characters from the filename. e.g. emojis, /\"<>:|?*"

The problem filename isn't shown, the "Go to File" link just takes me to the root directory of my drive, and I obviously can't search for those bad characters.  How do I find this file to solve the sync issue?

Screenshot 2022-05-15 07.34.56.png

164 Replies 164

hzee
Helpful | Level 6

I'm getting sync errors, but not sure why.

screenshot.2023-12-10T071907Z.png

Presumably it's because of the ~ character at the end. (This character is fairly common in the Unix world as they are created by apps like emacs as backup copies of the previous version of a file that's been changed.)

It's not 100% clear since ~ isn't listed in the character examples.

More importantly, how do I fix this?  How can I exclude these files, e.g. with wildcard rules, from having Dropbox try to sync them?

I don't want to keep getting sync errors every day.

Dropbox v189.3.8308 (beta)

macOS 13.6.2 (Ventura, ARM)

Mark
Super User II

Hi @hzee 

To fix you need to rename the file to remove it I'm afraid. 

There are no wildcard / optouts etc. within Dropbox to not sync certain characters

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

hzee
Helpful | Level 6
This is silly. I haven’t had this problem for 15 years and now Dropbox decides it’s a problem?
There once was a time when Dropbox was best-of-class. At this point Dropbox is just running out of advantages over Google Drive.
It’s been a good run, but time to say adieu.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @hzee, thanks for posting here! 

It seems that other than the tilde character at the end of the file name, you're also using our beta version 189.3.8308. 

Just as a test, and to check more on this: would you mind renaming the file name through the web, to see if it then syncs without an issue?

I'll be waiting for your results!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

hzee
Helpful | Level 6

If I remove the ~ character, the sync works just fine.

The ~ character blocks the sync and triggers daily errors in my macOS menubar.

This happens in both cases: the file is created on my MacBook and the file is created in the web app.

Yes, I hope that you can take that as feedback for the beta developers.
There's nothing special about the ~ character.  It causes no problems with any OS or system. So it should not cause errors.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @hzee, definitely keeping a note of this! 

Your comments on syncing and how it works in this particular case have been quite helpful, and I will do everything I can to ensure that your voice is heard.

I'll forward your feedback to the appropriate areas so we can continue to improve. Thanks!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

VFRBoy
Helpful | Level 6

so it's late 2023 and I just had to rename 9 files which have been in our Dropbox for years. Why did this come up today? 

Anyway, we're moving to OneDrive / SharePoint which is included in out Microsoft subscription, and saving over $1,000/year by ditching Dropbox

ngtr
Helpful | Level 6

DROPBOX THIS IS A CLEAR REGRESSION BUG THAT IS YOUR PROBLEM AND NEEDS TO BE FIXED, in my case there are no illegal characters in my filenames, Dropbox the software is wrong and bugged, FIX IT!!!

Dropbox is on a downward spiral and getting worse and worse. Time to evaluate alternatives that work better.

NanoExplorer
Helpful | Level 6

I have about 200 files with tildes in them, and like @hzee they haven't caused any problems until today. I'm on 189.4.8395, also on Mac arm 13.6.2. Among these new errors are a couple other files that start with a dot and end in '.swp' like '.test.swp'.

Also, I noticed that dot is listed among the special characters that are not allowed in file names. I hope that doesn't mean all my files with multiple dots will cause problems in the future.

mpops
Helpful | Level 6

Yep, It's been years and suddenly the bug is back.  Same bug.  FIX IT DROPBOX!

Need more support?