cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Decryption fails running iOS 14.2

Decryption fails running iOS 14.2

JohnK2
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Just updated iPhone and iPad to iOS 14.2. Now, trying to open an encrypted file, it tell me "Decryption Failed. Null" If I open with Excel, it works fine. Anyone else having this issue?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

CEBR
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I also have success opening an encrypted file within Dropbox after updated 14.4 IOS update.  Thanks for everyone's help and input.

View solution in original post

259 Replies 259

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @JohnK2, thanks for posting!

Could you send me a screenshot of the error that you're getting?

Also, what are the exact steps you're taking when you get this error? 

When you mentioned opening the file through Excel, was this by opening the file through the Files app, or after exporting the file from Dropbox?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

JohnK2
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

IMG_2637.png

JohnK2
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Also, on my iPhone, I open dropbox and go to that combo file. Enter my password and get the result above. If i click on the "open" button, then I am able to open in Excel with my password. Never had to do this before my iOS upgrade yesterday. My wife's phone has the exact same issue. We are able to open on our macs but not our iPads or iPhones.

ltx
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I am also having this exact same issue/same error message after upgrading to iOS 14.2 yesterday.

JohnK2
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Glad to see I'm not the only one!

ltx
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Thanks for mentioning iOS 14.2! I didn’t realize until you mentioned it that that was what changed to cause all my password protected files (excel/word) to no longer open within dropbox. I couldn’t find anyone else having this issue when I googled online for a fix. Thank you for posting it!

Iaincars
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Me too. Just installed 14.2 but it happens when opening excel file from email so not just dropbox

Kritzstew
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Same here with a word document. Strange though, as I have 2 encrypted docs on Dropbox... one opens, the other doesn’t.

Sguaraus
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Same problem here! Cannot open MsOffice files protected with password, same error message DECRYPTION FAILED (NULL) after installing ios14.2...Please fix it. Thank you!
Need more support?