cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Decryption fails running iOS 14.2

Decryption fails running iOS 14.2

JohnK2
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Just updated iPhone and iPad to iOS 14.2. Now, trying to open an encrypted file, it tell me "Decryption Failed. Null" If I open with Excel, it works fine. Anyone else having this issue?

259 Replies 259

lynnegell
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have updated to apple software to 14.2.  I am trying to open a file that is NOT encrypted, and I get a message that "decryption failed. null."  Can anyone help me?

lynnegell
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Daphne,

I have the same issue with IOS 14.2 update and not being able to open password-protected docs in Dropbox.  My ticket # 11621879.  Please let me know how to resolve this issue.

Thank you,

Lynne Gellman

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @lynnegell; thanks for joining our Community!

This seems rather strange; can you reboot your device and try to access the same file again?

If the issue persists, could you let me know if you're able to access it normally from a web browser?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

lynnegell
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Walter, I have rebooted the device, and I still have the problem. As many others have said, this seems to be an issue with password-protected documents, whether or not they are encrypted. I can access the dropbox file from my laptop. It is only an issue on my phone (which has the iOS update installed.

lynnegell
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Also, I am not able to access the file from the dropbox website on my phone. It says the file is password protected, which it is, but there is no place to enter my password. Please let me know if I’ve answered your questions properly. Thank you!

Gianernesto
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, I CAN'T OPEN AN EXCEL FILE PROTECTED BY A PASSWORD WITH AN IPHONE IOS 14.2. (IT NORMALLY OPENED IT UNTIL THE LAST UPDATE AND THE PASSWORD WAS CREATED WITH EXCEL INTERNAL ULTILITY)

I INSERT THE RIGHT PASSWORD AND DROPBOX REPLY "DECRYPTION FAILED (NULL).

(I TRIED ALSO WITH AN IPAD, NO WAY) WHILE IT'S POSSIBLE TO OPEN THE SAME FILE FROM MACOS 10.15.7, IT WORKS PROPERLY.

I ALSO TRIED TO CREATE A NEW PROTECTED FILE, UPLOADED ON DROPBOX, BUT AGAIN IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO OPEN IT.

HAS ANYONE FACED THE SAME PROBLEM?

THANKS

Kritzstew
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

So, can someone else try this to confirm please....  from Word or excel... save a copy of the file that won't decrypt to Dropbox....  now see if that file opens in Dropbox view.....  mine did.

lynnegell
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Unfortunately, I created the file in Dropbox, so there's not a copy in Excel for me to open, unless I'm missing something.  If so, please let me know.

Thanks.

ltx
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hi lynngell,

You first need to have installed the free Microsoft Excel app on your iPhone, then you will have the ability to access your dropbox file from there. After installing the Microsoft Excel app:

In dropbox > select your password protected excel file > when it prompts you to enter your password, do this instead > click on the blue “Open” button at the bottom of the screen. This will take you to the excel app you installed and open the file > you will be prompted to enter your password and will be able to access your password protected excel file in excel.

If you also need to access a password protected word doc, the same idea applies, just install Microsoft Word on your iPhone.

Still waiting for a fix, this is the workaround. Thank you lynngell for logging a ticket! Maybe dropbox will finally investigate or update us!

lynnegell
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks very much for your response. I did install excel, and I am able to open the doc by clicking "open" as you suggested and then typing in my password.  The document is very hard to read in excel, but at least I have a work-around.  I sure hope dropbox comes up with a fix, however. Thanks again!

Need more support?