cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: error message decryption failed

Decryption fails running iOS 14.2

JohnK2
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Just updated iPhone and iPad to iOS 14.2. Now, trying to open an encrypted file, it tell me "Decryption Failed. Null" If I open with Excel, it works fine. Anyone else having this issue?

259 Replies 259

Martz
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Its on page 9, called Interim Success.  

CEBR
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm getting the (Null) "Decryption Failure" when trying to open an encrypted file (Excel) in the Dropbox IOS app, but the file will open from Dropbox to Excel app with no problem. Frustrating. Occurring since updating IOS as well.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@CEBR wrote:

I'm getting the (Null) "Decryption Failure" when trying to open an encrypted file (Excel) in the Dropbox IOS app, but the file will open from Dropbox to Excel app with no problem. Frustrating. Occurring since updating IOS as well.

This is an iOS issue unrelated to Dropbox. It happens when opening files from other sources as well; not just Dropbox. It will likely be up to Apple to resolve it with another update to iOS.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Martz wrote:

Its on page 9, called Interim Success.  

Careful when referencing page numbers. They're dependent on your personal display settings for number of posts per page. Best to provide a link to the post from the elipsis menu ( ... ) on the post.

824a2d0edab5fc478640a6258e68a69e.png

Martz
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Ugh, really??? That sucks but thanks much for letting me know.  Yeah, this Apple issue has a whole lot of Apple users up in arms.  The work around is fine for me but I would still rather have it work the way it did prior to 14.2.

deebee90
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same here.  Just been on Dropbox chat.  Hopefully apple are aware and working hard to fix it.

We also have an older ipad that is stuck on iOS 12 and that opens the encrypted file with no problem.

Martz
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Until Apple fixes this, a work-around can be found here.. .. Interim Success 

wholeinsights
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I continue to not be able to log in to any dropbox files on my Iphone- I get the "decryption failed" that everyone is getting.  Also, the workaround of opening the document in Microsfot Word app on phone does not work either- document will not display. 

Is there anything I can do now or is this truly caused y latest apple update and I just need to wait?

Thanks.

CEBR
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It appeare to have been resolved. Unsure whether an Apple issue or MS Excel Issue.  Did not do any further IOS upgrades but did re-save the file on my desktop. The Excel file now decrypts and opens in both my Apple phone and tablet Dropbox app.

wholeinsights
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks for the response.

Need more support?