cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox - how to edit file in a shared folder?

Dropbox - how to edit file in a shared folder?

Martin M.15
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have a url of a shared folder with some files that I would like to modify (without changing the url) and I am not entirely sure how to do this. When following the URL, I cannot really modify them in browser and dropbox offers me an option "Download to your dropbox". However, this only seems to download a copy of the file and modifying it does not change the original file. Is there a way of doing this?

Thanks for any help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Is this a file that was shared with you, or a file within your own account? If someone gave you a URL to a file then it is a read-only method of sharing. You won't be able to upload any changes. They need to invite you to the folder in order to make changes.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

If you're going to work through the website, then you need to download the file, edit and save it locally, then upload it back to the same shared folder. There are no editing capabilities built-in to Dropbox.

The easier solution would be to install the Dropbox client on your computer and allow the shared folder to sync locally. You can then just open the file locally, edit and save it, and the changes will sync back to Dropbox.

Martin M.15
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thanks for the answer. If I follow the URL, I can download the files, but there is no option for uploading them... So I am not sure how to do this...

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Is this a file that was shared with you, or a file within your own account? If someone gave you a URL to a file then it is a read-only method of sharing. You won't be able to upload any changes. They need to invite you to the folder in order to make changes.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Need more support?