cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Export Option Unavailable

Export Option Unavailable

Colin Macdonald
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

No Export Option

Hi. Up until a week ago, I always had the 'Export' option when clicking on the ... ellipse at top right hand corner of an opened Dropbox file on my iPad and iPhone. I like to export files to iBooks so I can read then from either device.

There is simply no 'Export' option able to seen or selected anymore. I have installed the latest ios software updates on both devices and have uninstalled then reinstalled the Dropbox app itself on both devices but no luck. 

Any advice on how to get the 'Export' option back, please?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Colin Macdonald
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Aha - thanks, Lucil. Because 'Share' had always been an different option to 'Export', I didn't think of checking it out, and I never would think of copying to iBooks as "sharing" (with myself).

If Dropbox wants to 'drop' an option like Export without specifically telling users, and if that issue can be got around another (slightly less intuitive) way, then I guess that its call. I'm happy I can do what I want with the file ('send'/share to iBooks).

Thanks again

Colin

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Colin Macdonald, I'd be happy to look into this together. 

The first though that came to mind was to check if you're connected to a WiFi network or via cellular data. 

If you are, could you send me a screenshot of the options you do get when you tap on the ellipsis of an already opened file?

Could you also check if you get the option to export a file before previewing it?

Give me a shout whenever you have any updates on this, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Colin Macdonald
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Lusil.

The screenshot is inserted below in two parts.

I get exactly the same options (i.e. no Export option) when I click on the ellipsis before previewing the file in Dropbox.

I use wi fi (at home), not cellular data. I've seen/used the 'Export' option in Dropbox over 100 times over the last few years (for multiple drafts of documents I've been working on) and this is the first time that 'Export' has disappeared as an option for me. Capacity would also not be an issue as I delete all old drafts from both Dropbox and iBooks.

Thank you & regards Colin

DropBox Screenshot Pt 1.jpgDropBox Screenshot Pt 2.jpg

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
In this case, could you tap on the option to "Share" and try exporting or saving it locally that way?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Colin Macdonald
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Aha - thanks, Lucil. Because 'Share' had always been an different option to 'Export', I didn't think of checking it out, and I never would think of copying to iBooks as "sharing" (with myself).

If Dropbox wants to 'drop' an option like Export without specifically telling users, and if that issue can be got around another (slightly less intuitive) way, then I guess that its call. I'm happy I can do what I want with the file ('send'/share to iBooks).

Thanks again

Colin

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Glad to hear that we were able to get to the bottom of this, @Colin Macdonald, and thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us!

If anything else comes up in the future, don't hesitate to get back to us. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a wonderful week ahead of you.

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

allisondbl
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Um nope. Not fixed at all. On my iPhone 12 running ios 14.6, I use the Export fx in Dropbox to export my MP3s of audiobooks to VLC to listen to them through a Bluetooth speaker. Running Dropbox 240.2.4, running VLC version 3.2.13. Cache cleared. There A) when you click the 3 dots is NO export and WORSE B) when you click SHARE there is NO export, only "copy link" and "invite to folder." To say I'm angry is an understatement. This is ludicrous. 

Rachelmk55
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I’m having the same issue. It is not an option under share either.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Rachelmk55, are you trying to export a file or folder? Could you attach a screenshot showing the options available?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

CDesigns
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I cannot find export either... I have mp4 files in my dropbox that I want on my iphone and have been googling ways to do it. They all lead to selecting the export option but there is none.  From what I have read there used to be, so what to do now? 

Thanks, cdesigns

Need more support?