cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friend wants to add my shared folder to their dropbox

Friend wants to add my shared folder to their dropbox

MojoLA
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I shared a folder from my dropbox using a link that allows viewing.

A friend wants to copy the folder to their dropbox, rather than download the files to local storage.

They're asking me how to do that, and I don't know how to tell them. My expectation would be that there would be a "Save to my dropbox" option under the ellipsis, but I have no way to test that.

Can someone help?

Morris "Mojo" Jones

Monrovia, CA

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @MojoLA 

Yes there will be a 'Save to Dropbox' button top right as long as they are logged in when they click on the link AND they've enough space in their account to download and save it

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @MojoLA 

Yes there will be a 'Save to Dropbox' button top right as long as they are logged in when they click on the link AND they've enough space in their account to download and save it

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Zippy114
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

BUT ... this will copy a SNAPSHOT of shared folder to the receiver's Dropbox account.  If the sender of the shared folder link then changes / adds / deletes files in the folder, the changes are NOT sync'd to the friend's copy of the folder.  Correct?

So ... how does someone invite a friend to save a copy of one of their Dropbox folders to the friend's Dropbox account - and have the folder stay in sync??

Thanks!

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Zippy114, how are you today? 

You're correct about the shared link. If they follow the process Mark mentioned, they'd be able to save the file as an individual one, without syncing properties to their account.

If you want to be able to invite and work on the folder/file with your friend, you can try these steps

Let me know if you have any questions! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Zippy114 Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?