cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I share a file without an expiration date?

How can I share a file without an expiration date?

cmkenny28
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have shared a document by inviting someone by email and setting the "Can View" setting. This file has them listed as a member. The person I added has told me that when they try access the file it says "link expired" however when I check the file there are no expiration times set. 

How do I add a member to a file without having an expiration time? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Juunas
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

Hi @cmkenny28!

There are a few different ways to share files using Dropbox:

Share a link to a file or folder

When you share a link with someone, they can view the file or folder on dropbox.com. You can send a link by email, Facebook, Twitter, instant message, social networks, wherever you want. You can share these links with anyone, even if they don't have a Dropbox account.

The link opens as a preview on dropbox.com, and recipients can comment on the file.

Give view-only permissions to a file or folder

When you give someone view-only permissions to a file or folder, they are invited to that file or folder. The recipient has access to the file or folder in their own Dropbox account.

When sharing a link, some Dropbox plans allow for you to set a link to expire. All Dropbox plans allow for a once created link to be deleted at any time, making it effectively expire. Links can be opened by anyone, regardless if they have Dropbox or not. If this sounds like a suitable option, you can see instructions on how to create a link (and double check that it doesn't expire) here.

Because you mention you have given a view-only permission to the other person, it sounds like you might have shared the folder/file - this would require the recipient to have their own Dropbox account. If this sounds like a suitable option, you can see instructions on how to share a file/folder here - a shared folder doesn't automatically expire, and as you had already found out, you can set view-only permissions even for shared folders.

Hope this helps!

Joonas

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Juunas
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

Hi @cmkenny28!

There are a few different ways to share files using Dropbox:

Share a link to a file or folder

When you share a link with someone, they can view the file or folder on dropbox.com. You can send a link by email, Facebook, Twitter, instant message, social networks, wherever you want. You can share these links with anyone, even if they don't have a Dropbox account.

The link opens as a preview on dropbox.com, and recipients can comment on the file.

Give view-only permissions to a file or folder

When you give someone view-only permissions to a file or folder, they are invited to that file or folder. The recipient has access to the file or folder in their own Dropbox account.

When sharing a link, some Dropbox plans allow for you to set a link to expire. All Dropbox plans allow for a once created link to be deleted at any time, making it effectively expire. Links can be opened by anyone, regardless if they have Dropbox or not. If this sounds like a suitable option, you can see instructions on how to create a link (and double check that it doesn't expire) here.

Because you mention you have given a view-only permission to the other person, it sounds like you might have shared the folder/file - this would require the recipient to have their own Dropbox account. If this sounds like a suitable option, you can see instructions on how to share a file/folder here - a shared folder doesn't automatically expire, and as you had already found out, you can set view-only permissions even for shared folders.

Hope this helps!

Joonas

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

cmkenny28
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks for your help! 🙂

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

cmkenny28 New member | Level 2
    Juunas Experienced | Level 12
What do Dropbox user levels mean?