cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox no longer creating images that can be embedded

How do I disable or remove capture?

Jessica D.20
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

How do I disable or remove capture? The screenshot URLs do not work for some reason. I just want to go back to the old dropbox screenshot URLs. I've uninstalled dropbox capture and unchecked/rechecked the dropbox settings in the regular dropbox app, but my screenshot URLs still use the capture domain. Those do not work, they just return a 404, every time. Additionally, they do not unfurl in slack, and other users then have to download capture to view. This is so frustrating, how do I remove it?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

YoucefDropbox
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to follow up on my message above.

• The 404 error should never happen again. We've deployed the fix. Thank you so much for your help in finding the root cause of this issue
  • dl=1 and raw=1 now work exactly as you requested

Please let us know if there is anything else you'd like us to add to the Capture links to make them even better.

Thank you so much!

View solution in original post

58 Replies 58

Subgiant
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Before when I took a screenshot from my Mac, it would upload the file to dropbox and give me a public link, normally with dl=0 at the end. Now it gives me a capture link and when I view this, it takes me to the dropbox website. However a big big feature was to take a screenshot and embed them into an email/support ticket so they could view it, inline in their emails, without needed to click to an external site. This no longer works as the URL is now pointing to capture. How do I turn this off? I don't mind it for videos, but single static screenshots need to be an image I can embed. This has also broken the slack functionality, and people only see a capture link now and not the image.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Jessica D.20, let's see what we can find on this together! 

Does the 404 error show up on all of the links or just some of them? 

Since you uninstalled Dropbox Capture, can you try re-creating a shared link from scratch and let me know how this goes? 
Please keep me updated!

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Subgiant, how are you doing? 

Have you tried uninstalling the Capture app on your end? 

Also, if you access the app's preferences and then go under the Backups tab, do you have any relevant options there?

Let me know more.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Subgiant
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi

Thanks for the super fast reply!

Dropbox is still uploading screenshots from my desktop to the dropbox folder without a problem, however the link that is created is as follows: https://capture.dropbox.com/vxhVgsaQjSq3RoOV?src=ss

It's not the old link style that worked in Slack and other programs, I've uninstalled Capture (but this was a useful program) I just want the image on it's own and not the dropbox website. This used to be the case until the last couple of days.

Subgiant
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The old link format used to be like this

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xfisxp1f43hfhddcv/Screenshot%202022-01-27%20at%2023.49.05.png?dl=0

It worked in Slack etc. In emails I used to change the dl=0 to dl=1 which would allow me to embed. Ideally it should always be set to 1 as nodoubt slack change it to =1 and use in chat.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @Subgiant, hope it’s OK if I jump in here, as well. 

I understand why it may be easier to access your screenshots via a “traditional” shared link, in this scenario. You should still be able to manually create shared links for these files, after they’ve been uploaded to your Dropbox account. 

You can definitely make a suggestion though about changing this here, so that our team can take this into consideration. 

Hope this helps!

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Jessica D.20
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Megan,

It happens on ALL of my screenshots. I either get a 404, or sometimes I get a notification that it is uploading but it never does (days later, still nothing there). This is not just for me but also for those who I'm trying to share the screenshot URL with.

Here is a new screenshot:

But either way, I just want to get back to the way it was, I do NOT want to use capture at all, how do I remove it? How do I remove capture all together so that my screenshot URLs are like the second example above (dropbox.com vs capture.dropbox.com)?

Jessica D.20
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Also Megan, I just want to be very clear, I do not have any desire to use Capture, I want it gone, removed (I've uninstalled it etc, so I shouldn't be having this issue at all). Capture has been nothing but problematic.

It appears that other responses on here to those with the same issue I'm having, are bypassing that and offering getting Capture to work. So I want to specify and make sure it's really clear - thats not my question and not what I'm after at all, I don't have any interest in getting capture to work at this point. I'm asking How do I disable or remove capture?

I simply just want my URLs back to plain ole dropbox.com, NOT capture.dropbox.com. How do I achieve this?

But what I don't want to do is waste anymore time on capture, if there isn't a way to just revert back like I'm asking, then Dropbox is moot for me as this is the main reason I use it. And if thats the case, I'll just remove Dropbox and go back to using Google Drive (at least those URLs unfurl in slack).

Jessica D.20
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Nancy So are you saying there's no way to get back to the "“traditional” shared link"? The only way to get the old dropbox link is to create one manually? No way to NOT use Capture for screenshots now?

Need more support?