cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image swipe slow on ipad last month

Image swipe slow on ipad last month

EvaS
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I'm new here. From the Netherlands.

I use a few ipads to let people swype through photos on the dropbox app. For over 10 years btw. Normally it's fast without hickups. But for the last month or so it's slow. Every few images it has to load them and waits for a second or 2.

First I thought it was the wifi, so i checked everything, maybe the jitter was too high but no problem, connections are fast, very fast ping. Also tested on other wifi connections on other location and 4G, still the same. Also on Android.

The images are all downgraded to around 600kb to 1mb. By the way a few thousand images per folder. So no big files.

I've reset the cache, deleted the app, restarted ipads, and so on for several times every few days but makes no difference.

My question; does anyone have the same issue and knows what to do? I'm a big fan of the dropbox app on ipad, but it's too slow now.

7 Replies 7

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @EvaS, sorry to hear you're having issues with this and thanks for clarifying all the troubleshooting steps you've attempted so far.

Could you please clarify your iPad's exact OS version and the version of the Dropbox mobile app installed there too?

I'm not sure if that would make a difference, but have you tried offlining your photos to see if they load quicker?

Keep me posted, Eva!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

EvaS
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

A sumup;

ipad 8th gen running on 15.3.1 and dropbox 308.2.2

ipad 5th gen running on 15.7.1 and dropbox 306.2.2

ipad 6th gen running on 15.6.1 and dropbox 306.2.2

android note 10plus running on 12 and dropbox 308.202

android s10 plus running on 12 and dropbox 304.2.4

and some more devices ipad and android but these are above are the more important.

It doesnt matter if there on the main feeding account or the shared account. I also tried running them on other wifi networks, doesnt make any difference. Of course i took the time to let the devices settle and dowload whatever they wanted before testing.

Offlining the photos on al devices is not that easy cince it's a lot, a few thousand of them and we add and remove around 20 a day. For me it's more than important that the photos are instantly removed or added on all devices instantly.

I'm beginning to think that dropbox has some performance issues in the netherlands, is that possible? Maybe bandwith restrictions of some sort on the main isp's here?

thanks Walter for your reply!

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the additional details there @EvaS - much appreciated. 

Have you tried clearing the app's cache and/or rebooting those devices at all lately?

Also, once you've swiped on the file preview and it's loaded, does it take time to load again or does it load instantly when you navigate to another photo and then back to the original file's preview? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

EvaS
Explorer | Level 3
Yup,
I've reset the cache, deleted the app, restarted ipads, and so on for several times every few days but makes no difference.

Swyping through the pics;
Only the last few are remembered and then its slow again. Or even nicer it doesn't show a preview but a loading icon wich stays forever.

The photos are jpg, compressed, from 300kb to max 1 mb. Not that big.

Can i make a short movie? And how?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

I'm terribly sorry for the late response @EvaS - are you still having issues with this?

If so, let me know here and I'll reach out via email to investigate further. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

EvaS
Explorer | Level 3
Hi,
Yes still the exact same issues, very very slow. A lot of the not preloaded photos take a second or 2 to load.
In a few folders I've downloaded a few hundred photo's one at a time and those are fast on ipad. It seems dropbox has changed something, maybe the servers here in the netherlands to not cache those items nearby? It looks like there is no other solution than to download al folders locally on every device and only possible with a paid subscription.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

No worries, @EvaS, I just sent you an email, so we'll continue investigating there.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    EvaS Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?