cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: .JPG Files are Supported but Something Went Wrong.

.JPG Files are Supported but Something Went Wrong.

Iniesta
Explorer | Level 4

Hi there, I'm a freelance photographer / creative and I use Dropbox for most of my clients simply because it's fast and it is always fuss-free when it comes to sharing across deliverables or photographs. I never had a problem with Dropbox for the past 4 years or so and now I'm constantly facing this issue which really annoys me and I might change Cloud if this problem persists or if there isn't any solution to this. I've went through most parts of this forum and google-d for solution but none of it works. If anyone could help - this would be greatly appreciated.

Some information that you all might need or ask.

Screenshot of the problem:

photo_2022-07-19_17-13-14.jpg

*This is a screenshot that my client(s) sent me. I though it might be a one-off thing but I'm getting the same problem from 2 or more clients already.

Details:

- I am using Dropbox Professional - I am only utilizing 256GB out of my available 2TB Storage.

- I am using Windows and not Macbook/Apple.

- The photographs are viewable on my end, I can open them in Preview / Photo Viewer

- The files are not extremely large, each photo is about 2-3MB only.

- I've tried re-exporting photographs in even lower-resolution and my client still are unable to view the photographs.

- My clients tried using 2 different phones (Apple), a Windows Computer but they're unable to view the photographs still.

- I sent them with an "anyone with the link" can view or access the folder option.

- File names do not have funky lettering or data / titles. They are all named - DSC1001.jpg (and so on..)

- Photographs are not uploaded via external storage. All internal storage HDD, then uploaded onto Dropbox folder (newly created folders)

- I've tried clearing my browser cache and I still face this problem

*I won't say this is a solution but with the same folder and files, I used another cloud platform and it worked for my client.

PLEASE HELP.

I LOVE DROPBOX AND I WANT TO CONTINUE BEING A USER

21 Replies 21

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Iniesta, I'd be delighted to see what we can find together on this one! 

When you try opening the link on your end using an incognito tab on your browser, do you still see the same error? 

If I were you, I'd try deleting the link, and then re-creating to see if that changes the narrative there. 

In any case, keep me updated!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Iniesta
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Megan 

I've tried opening the link in an incognito webpage and I see the same error.

But if I accessed it from my own end (logged on) I don't see this error.

The solution was to delete the previous link and to create a new one.

But then comes a question - do I have to constantly do that for EVERY one of my folder I'm sharing out?

Because I do a lot of folders w different files sharing to all of my clients - it will be very tedious to repeat this process over and over.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Iniesta, glad this was resolved like so! 

Do you notice the same kind of behavior with more than one link? If yes, what are the file types this is happening to?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Iniesta
Explorer | Level 4

Hi there,

I mainly deal with .jpg files only.

And yes it is re-occurring, I have had 4 similar issues prior to this and it only happened just a week before.

A week before, I never had such issue and this issue only happens to people who receives the link and views it - not on my end when I'm logged on.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Iniesta, how many megapixels are the images you're trying to preview? This is the width x height of the image in pixels.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

mrbrock21
New member | Level 2

I am having this same issue and can't find a solution. I send folders to two clients and they both sent me screenshots of this message ".jpg files are supported but something went wrong". I send dropbox folders to many clients and this is a first. 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @mrbrock21, I’m sorry to hear you’re also having this issue.

Have you tried all of the suggestions provided above? Do you get the same type of error on your end, as well, when opening your shared links via an incognito window? 

Also, is this happening for other filetypes, besides .jpg?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Iniesta
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, on my initial thread / topic starter I've already included this information.

But my files (.jpg) are usually 2-3MB, sometimes up to 5MB at most.

For width x length pixels - 3750 x 2500 or 1920 x 1080.

Not too sure why would the pixel length be of an issue to this, even if its 10MB-500MB / whatever pixel dimensions, it should be able to be shared across

to my clients.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Iniesta, for .jpeg files to be able to preview without an issue, they should be up to 100 MB or 50 megapixels. 

That could be the culprit here. Can you try resizing them and sharing them again? 

As for the sharing, it seems they are able to share, however the problem is when people try to open and view them, right? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?