cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Missing Pictures

Missing Pictures

Trumpy57
Explorer | Level 4

Hi. I've lost some important pictures of my daughter's wedding and other events that were downloaded from my camera into Dropbox and then copied into my Mac's Photos library. This was back in 2018. But virtually all of my pictures from that year which had been downloaded into Dropbox have now disappeared from Photos and Dropbox. Any idea what might have happened or if they might still exist somewhere? Should they still exist somewhere in my Mac's hard drive even if they're not in the Photos library? Any advice or suggestions? Thanks. Pete

11 Replies 11

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Hi there @Trumpy57, let's see what we can do here. 

Since you copied the images to your Photos library, they would be considered separate from the ones in your Dropbox folder. 

As for the ones you're looking for in your Dropbox account, could you have a look at your events page for any recent record on what could have happened?

Have a look and let me know what you find, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Trumpy57
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Lusil

I've looked at the events page but it just says no activity.

Mark
Super User II

Do you mean 'no activity' at all? As in the Events log is totally blank?

Does anything, at all, show at www.dropbox.com/home ?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Trumpy57
Explorer | Level 4

If I click on events page as Lusil suggests, all I get is 'no activity yet'. There are some folders with images but only dating back to 2019. Nothing before that. The wedding pix and various others were downloaded to Dropbox back in 2017 but all disappeared in 2018.

Mark
Super User II

If its not showing any activity on Events I'm afraid they are unrecoverable - that list is wiped, I believe, after 6 months (the maximum recovery window for paid plans). So, as nothing shows there the files are not recoverable via Dropbox. 

You will need to try any linked devices or your own backups I'm afraid. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Trumpy57
Explorer | Level 4

I did think that might be the case. I also think the loss of these pictures has something to do with Time Machine and problems when iPhoto switched to Photos on my Mac. But this problem only seemed to occur when the Dropbox option to download my pictures came up for the first time - it wasn't something I'd asked to do but thought I'd give it a go as backup for my pix. How wrong that decision proved to be. Someone else told me they should still be on my hard drive somewhere but I have little confidence I'll ever get them back. My daughter might kill me! But thanks for taking the time to reply - much appreciated. Cheers

KristineKnapmann
New member | Level 2

I'm pretty sure i'm missing some photos from my dropbox (1 month of traveling or more)... but is there any way i can check it or get it back?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Hey @KristineKnapmann, thanks for posting to our Community! 

Have you checked your Deleted files, or the Events page

Also, feel free to have a look at this helpful article. 

Let me know what you find. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Jkwarman76
New member | Level 2
I uploaded my wedding pictures on here 5 years ago. I'm terrible and haven't looked at them since. I can't find them now!! I'm sure im signed in with the correct email. I don't know, maybe I purchased a plan other than basic. If I did would they be on there?
Need more support?