cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We’ve covered lots of big life moments in our ‘How we use Dropbox’ series - and now we even have some tips on how you can use Dropbox to keep the planning of a wedding as easy and as painless as possible over here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Most files went to 0 Bytes: I synced to my hard drive, & now out of disk space & w/o Smart Sync

Most files went to 0 Bytes: I synced to my hard drive, & now out of disk space & w/o Smart Sync

MovementMedia
New member | Level 2

Two nights ago, without warning, most things in Dropbox said they were on the cloud, and thus Zero Bytes in size, and inaccessible unless downloaded from the cloud. I'd never seen this before, even after reinstalling Dropbox after a computer wipe a couple of weeks ago. Since that reinstall, I'd used Dropbox as online-only, which I thought was how I'd always used it here on my MacBook Air and on my desktop computer. All of that syncing of Dropbox really made my laptop heat up a lot yesterday morning, and now my disk is actually almost full.

And then in terms of trying to re-instate Smart Sync, THERE IS NO OPTION IN MAC HERE TO CHANGE TO SMART SYNC: NOTHING OF THIS DESCRIPTION HAPPENS WHEN I RIGHT CLICK (it JUST shows the normal rick-click options: Open in New Tab, Move to Trash, etc.)--WHAT IS GOING ON?!!!!
https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/smart-sync

Since the only option besides this was to email support, and I'm PLEADING with them to help me because there's no discernible way out of this, I really, really, REALLY could use some help. This is really asinine, and I'm never experienced anything like this, having, to my knowledge, only used online-only/Smart Sync since beginning to use Dropbox for work in 2019.

3 Replies 3

Re: Most files went to 0 Bytes: I synced to my hard drive, & now out of disk space & w/o Sma

MovementMedia
New member | Level 2

Having uninstalled and reinstalled Dropbox, and deleted the locally synced files that would otherwise have made my computer unusable by filling up the hard drive, now the files from our online Dropbox account won't sync to my computer. This is really one of the worst experiences with a piece of software I've ever had.

Re: Most files went to 0 Bytes: I synced to my hard drive, & now out of disk space & w/o Sma

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @MovementMedia, thanks for messaging the Community.

Was the Dropbox desktop application running and syncing when you right clicked a file in the Dropbox folder to see the Dropbox options appear?

Could you clarify how the files are now no longer syncing to your machine? What message do you get when you hover over the Dropbox icon in the menu bar near the clock?

Any other info or screenshots would be helpful.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

MovementMedia
New member | Level 2

Jay, I uninstalled and reinstalled Dropbox, after having no other recourse.

I urge you at Dropbox in the highest sense to tell users, without having to login to the web version, that there’s an issue accessing online-only files, so that they aren’t blindsided by it and go into a downward spiral like I did, which consumed a majority of my time last week. Every step of trying to recover from this was immensely stressful, and really severely kneecapped my ability to do my work because I had to sort this out.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

MovementMedia New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?