cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Most of my files are showing as Zero bytes on desk top app

Most of my files are showing as Zero bytes on desk top app

RobWilkins
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Most of my files are showing as Zero bytes on desk top app and will not open – Why?

Mac OS Monterey 12.3.1

This problem has only started happening in the last couple of days. I've been happily working on files up till then. Now most of the files on my Dropbox App show as zero bytes and will not open. The files are definitely there on Dropbox.com and I can download them.
(Please see screenshots attached)

I have repaired permissions. Re installed the App from afresh and turned my iMac off and on again.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance. 😊

From Dropbox AppFrom Dropbox AppFrom Dropbox.comFrom Dropbox.com

Rob

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Are you using SmartSync? 

If so download them first and then they will open 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Are you using SmartSync? 

If so download them first and then they will open 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Mark L.41
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have the same problem and I'm not using SmartSync for the folder in question.

2022.jpg

I'm running Montrey 12.3.1 on a M1 Mac. I have recently updated Dropbox to the new M1 Client v147.3.4765

boozbeatz
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same problem. I'm using Mac Monterey 12.13.1 and my files are showing zero bytes. 

I followed another forum comment and went to dropbox preferences, selected Account help down the option key and selected fix permissions. It fixed some. Then when i opened the files they could open and the zero bytes restored to the file size. My problem is i have 60k files so its making life a bit fo a nightmare.

GreyOwl54
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

CleanShot Dropbox-General - Dropbox - Dropbox08-22 at 08.05.png

 Have you checked this (option) under Settings > General > Preferences?

I was unaware of it until just now, but it does seem to answer the point. (Apple MacStudio, M1 Max, Monterey 12.5)

Trey H.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Have have the same issue, and I Mark's (SuperUser) comment about SmartSync is not applicable/helpful (yet somehow it is listed as the "accepted solution".  Have have 50k+ files, and most are reading Zero bytes on the desktop.  Have reinstalled the Dropbox desktop app, un-sync'd and re-sync'd the files in question, restarted Dropbox, and restarted the Macbook.  Nothing.  Has never been the case before.  Incredibly frustrating.  Hard to believe that we havent had a Dropbox employee assist with this question thread.

Trey H.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I found a workaround of sorts that I will share now.  The end result is that my files still do not automatically sync offline to my desktop (though that is the setting), but at least now I can open them directly in Finder (something I was not able to do prior to this fix).
Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 3.35.49 PM.png

Ananda13
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just chiming in here to say I had the same problem and then I right-clicked the main folder (from my Mac) and selected "make available offline" and that seemed to fix the issue and now all the files are actually on my desktop too.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Ananda13 New member | Level 2
    Trey H. New member | Level 2
    GreyOwl54 Explorer | Level 3
    boozbeatz New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?